Subject: [IPsec] Draft-zhang-ipsecme-anti-replay: IPsec anti-replay algorithm without bit-shifting

From: Tina Tsou <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 May 2011 12:45:37 -0700

Hi,
Victor and I just submitted
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-zhang-ipsecme-anti-replay/

IPsec anti-replay algorithm without bit-shifting

This document presents a new method to do anti-replay check and 
   update, which becomes one alternative to the anti-replay 
   algorithm in RFC 4302 and RFC4303.  The new method will deem the 
   bit-shifting unnecessary.  It will reduce the number of times 
   to slide the window.  In addition, it makes bit-check and 
   bit-update easier as it does not depend on the low index of the 
   sliding window.  It is especially beneficial when the window size 
   is much bigger than 64 bits, for example, 1024 bits.

   IPsec employs one anti-replay sliding window protocol to secure 
   against an adversary that can insert the messages inside the 
   network tunnel.  This method still inherits the sliding window 
   protocol, but use one or more redundant bytes to ease the update 
   of sliding window.  The bit-shifting is deemed unnecessary with 
   updating the high and low index of the window, which is especially 
   efficient in case of the big window size.  Thus the method reduces
   the number of times to update the window.  

   In addition, the bit location is fixed for one sequence number, 
   thus makes the bit check easier and faster.

Comments are more than welcome.

We keep our promises with one another - no matter what!

Best Regards,
Tina TSOU
http://tinatsou.weebly.com/contact.html

---

From: Sean Turner <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 May 2011 10:47:51 -0400

In section 3 please add the appropriate license for code components 
(http://trustee.ietf.org/license-info/IETF-Trust-License-Policy-20091228.pdf). 
  In a nutshell encapsulate the code with:

<CODE BEGINS>
	code goes here
<CODE ENDS>

and right after <CODE BEGINS> include the following:

/*
    Copyright (c) 2011 IETF Trust and the persons identified as authors
    of this code. All rights reserved.

    THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY THE COPYRIGHT HOLDERS AND CONTRIBUTORS
    "AS IS" AND ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT
    LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR
    A PARTICULAR PURPOSE ARE DISCLAIMED. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE COPYRIGHT
    OWNER OR CONTRIBUTORS BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL,
    SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT
    LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES; LOSS OF USE,
    DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY
    THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT
    (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE
    OF THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.
    */

In section 6 you need to say whether the references are normative or 
not.  I assume normative.

spt

On 5/10/11 3:45 PM, Tina Tsou wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> IPsec mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipsec
>

---

From: Xiangyang zhang <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 May 2011 22:56:12 +0000

Sean,

Thanks for the comments

1. The code will be encapsulated including the copyright.  Is the pseudo-code better than actual C code?
2. The reference is normative.

Regards

Xiangyang

-----Original Message-----
From: Sean Turner [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Thursday, May 19, 2011 7:48 AM
To: Tina Tsou
Cc: [email-masked]; Xiangyang zhang
Subject: Re: [IPsec] Draft-zhang-ipsecme-anti-replay: IPsec anti-replay algorithm without bit-shifting

<CODE BEGINS>
	code goes here
<CODE ENDS>

/*

spt

---

From: Sean Turner <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 May 2011 08:28:02 -0400

> 1. The code will be encapsulated including the copyright.  Is the pseudo-code better than actual C code?

I think that's up to you.  I don't have strong preference either way.

> 2. The reference is normative.

Figured ;)

spt

> and right after<CODE BEGINS>  include the following:
>
> /*