Subject: [IPsec] New draft draft-kivinen-ipsecme-secure-password-framework-00.txt

From: Tero Kivinen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 May 2011 16:33:59 +0300

As the last discussion attempt about trying to create common way to
put those multiple symmetric secure password methods IKEv2 was bit
side-railed by misunderstandings etc, I decided it is better to write
bit more about the issue before continue on the issue. Here is the
draft that includes bit more of introduction and rationale what I want
to do and what I hope the draft authors would agree to do on.

This draft is not necessarely something that requires to be published,
we could simply also make sure all three secure password methods cut &
paste the relevant stuff from here and put all the relevant text to
their own documents, as long as all of them agree that they do things
in the same way so they can all co-exists together in one
implemtation.

On the other hand documenting the common grounds in separate document
might be easier for the implementor to understand what he needs to do
and what he can assume from the secure password methods, i.e.
implementor does not need to verify that all of the methods do method
negotiation in the same way, if all of them refer to same document
(compared to the case where they copy the same text and put it in to
their document).

Hopefully this draft will clarify things bit more.

http://www.ietf.org/id/draft-kivinen-ipsecme-secure-password-framework-00.txt

Subject: New Version Notification for draft-kivinen-ipsecme-secure-password-framework-00.txt
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 12 May 2011 06:20:32 -0700

A new version of I-D, draft-kivinen-ipsecme-secure-password-framework-00.txt has been successfully submitted by Tero Kivinen and posted to the IETF repository.

Filename:	 draft-kivinen-ipsecme-secure-password-framework
Revision:	 00
Title:		 Secure Password Framework for IKEv2
Creation date:	 2011-05-12
WG ID:		 Individual Submission
Number of pages: 14

Abstract:
   The IPsecME working group was chartered to provide IKEv2 a symmetric
   secure password authentication protocol that supports using of low-
   entropy shared secrets, but which is protected against off-line
   dictionary attacks without requiring the use of certificates of EAP.
   There are multiple of such methods and working group was supposed to
   pick one.  Unfortunately the working group failed to get pick one
   protocol and there are multiple candidates going forward as separate
   documents.  As each of those documents uses different method to
   negotiate the use of the method and also uses different payload
   formats it is very hard to try to make implementation where multiple
   of those systems could co-exists.

   This document tries to create generic way for those methods to
   negotiate which one is used and provides one new payload which can be
   used to transmit method specific data.

The IETF Secretariat