Subject: [IPsec] RFC 6290 on A Quick Crash Detection Method for the Internet Key Exchange Protocol (IKE)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2011 18:43:49 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 6290

        Title:      A Quick Crash Detection Method 
                    for the Internet Key Exchange Protocol 
                    (IKE) 
        Author:     Y. Nir, Ed.,
                    D. Wierbowski, F. Detienne,
                    P. Sethi
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       June 2011
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],  [email-masked]
        Pages:      22
        Characters: 48891
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-ipsecme-failure-detection-08.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc6290.txt

This document describes an extension to the Internet Key Exchange
Protocol version 2 (IKEv2) that allows for faster detection of
Security Association (SA) desynchronization using a saved token.

When an IPsec tunnel between two IKEv2 peers is disconnected due to a
restart of one peer, it can take as much as several minutes for the
other peer to discover that the reboot has occurred, thus delaying
recovery.  In this text, we propose an extension to the protocol that
allows for recovery immediately following the restart.  [STANDARDS-TRACK]

This document is a product of the IP Security Maintenance and Extensions Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard Protocol.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet standards track
protocol for the Internet community,and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Internet
Official Protocol Standards (STD 1) for the standardization state and
status of this protocol.  Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC