Subject: [IPsec] RFC 6311 on Protocol Support for High Availability of IKEv2/IPsec

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2011 17:59:21 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 6311

        Title:      Protocol Support for High Availability 
                    of IKEv2/IPsec 
        Author:     R. Singh, Ed.,
                    G. Kalyani, Y. Nir,
                    Y. Sheffer, D. Zhang
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       July 2011
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],  
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      26
        Characters: 58672
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-ipsecme-ipsecha-protocol-06.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc6311.txt

The IPsec protocol suite is widely used for business-critical network
traffic.  In order to make IPsec deployments highly available, more
scalable, and failure-resistant, they are often implemented as IPsec
High Availability (HA) clusters.  However, there are many issues in
IPsec HA clustering, and in particular in Internet Key Exchange
Protocol version 2 (IKEv2) clustering.  An earlier document, "IPsec
Cluster Problem Statement", enumerates the issues encountered in the
IKEv2/IPsec HA cluster environment.  This document resolves these
issues with the least possible change to the protocol.

This document defines an extension to the IKEv2 protocol to solve the
main issues of "IPsec Cluster Problem Statement" in the commonly
deployed hot standby cluster, and provides implementation advice for
other issues.  The main issues solved are the synchronization of
IKEv2 Message ID counters, and of IPsec replay counters.  [STANDARDS-TRACK]

This document is a product of the IP Security Maintenance and Extensions Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard Protocol.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet standards track
protocol for the Internet community,and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Internet
Official Protocol Standards (STD 1) for the standardization state and
status of this protocol.  Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC