Subject: [IPsec] WG Action: Rechartered IP Security Maintenance and Extensions (ipsecme)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2012 08:34:04 -0700

The IP Security Maintenance and Extensions (ipsecme) working group in the
Security Area of the IETF has been rechartered. For additional
information please contact the Area Directors or the WG Chairs.

IP Security Maintenance and Extensions (ipsecme)
------------------------------------------------
Current Status: Active Working Group

Chairs:
  Paul Hoffman <[email-masked]>
  Yaron Sheffer <[email-masked]>

Assigned Area Director:
  Sean Turner <[email-masked]>

Mailing list
  Address: [email-masked]
  To Subscribe: https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipsec
  Archive: http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ipsec/

Charter of Working Group:

The IPsec suite of protocols includes IKEv1 (RFC 2409
and associated RFCs), IKEv2 (RFC 5996), and the IPsec
security architecture (RFC 4301). IPsec is widely
deployed in VPN gateways, VPN remote access clients,
and as a substrate for host-to-host, host-to-network,
and network-to-network security.

The IPsec Maintenance and Extensions Working Group
continues the work of the earlier IPsec Working Group
which was concluded in 2005. Its purpose is to maintain
the IPsec standard and to facilitate discussion of
clarifications, improvements, and extensions to IPsec,
mostly to IKEv2. The working group also serves as a
focus point for other IETF Working Groups who use IPsec
in their own protocols.

The current work items include:

In an environment with many IPsec gateways and remote
clients that share an established trust infrastructure
(in a single administrative domain or across multiple
domains), customers want to get on-demand point-to-point
IPsec capability for efficiency. However, this cannot be
feasibly accomplished only with today's IPsec and IKE due
to problems with address lookup, reachability, policy
configuration, and so on.

The IPsecME Working Group will handle this large scale
VPN problem by:

* Creating a problem statement document including use
cases, definitions and proper requirements for discovery
and updates. This document would be solution-agnostic.

* Publishing a common solution for the discovery and
update problems that will satisfy the requirements
in the problem statement document. The working group
may standardize one of the vendor solutions, a combination,
an superset of such a solution, or a new protocol.

* Reviewing and helping publish Informational documents
describing current vendor proprietary solutions.

Recently discovered incorrect behavior of ISPs poses a
challenge to IKE, whose UDP messages (especially #3 and #4)
sometimes get fragmented at the IP level and then dropped
by these ISPs. There is interest in solving this issue by
allowing transport of IKE over TCP; this is currently
implemented by some vendors. The group will standardize such
a solution, using draft-nir-ipsecme-ike-tcp as a starting point.

This charter will expire in August 2014 (24 months from approval).
If the charter is not updated before that time, the WG will be
closed and any remaining documents revert back to individual
Internet-Drafts.

Milestones:
  Done     - WG last call on IPv6 configuration payloads
  Done     - WG last call on IPsec roadmap
  Done     - WG last call on session resumption
  Done     - WG last call on redirect
  Done     - WG last call on IKEv2bis
  Done     - WG last call on ESP NULL traffic visibility
  Done     - WG last call on HA requirements
  Done     - WG last call on quick crash discovery
  Done     - WG last call on EAP-only authentication
  Nov 2012 - IETF Last Call on large scale VPN use cases and requirements
  Feb 2013 - IETF Last Call on IKE over TCP
  Jun 2013 - IETF Last Call on large scale VPN protocol