Subject: [IPsec] IPsecME virtual interim meeting (revised date)

From: Yaron Sheffer <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2013 16:50:34 +0300

Dear IPsec folks,

The ipsecme working group is chartered to come up with a solution for 
transporting long IKEv2 messages over networks that do not perform IP 
fragmentation correctly, and as a result drop overly long messages, 
usually IKE_AUTH messages.

Our original plan was to base the solution on IKE-over-TCP, however the 
author of this draft announced that he now prefers a different solution, 
similar to the (non-standard) IKEv1 Fragmentation payload that was 
implemented by several vendors (see 
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc233251.aspx). We do not want 
to end up with a common but non-standard solution in IKEv2, which would 
practically guarantee interoperability issues.

As a further data point, we are aware of IPR issues with Microsoft's 
solution; we have tried to clarify the issue with Microsoft but have not 
been successful yet.

We would like to invite the group to a Virtual Interim Meeting (a.k.a. 
conference call), to discuss this problem.

Potential outcomes of the meeting include:
- The group decides that this is not an important problem.
- This is an important problem and we have 1-2 people committed to 
author a draft along the lines of the non-standard IKEv1 mechanism.
- This is an important problem and the group is happy to adopt 
draft-smyslov-ipsecme-ikev2-fragmentation (which solves the same problem 
in a somewhat different fashion).
- The group still prefers IKE-over-TCP and there are committed authors 
to continue work on that draft.

We propose to meet Thursday, May 16, at 9:00am PST (16:00 UTC, 12:00 
noon EST, 19:00 Israel) for 1 hour. We will publish a bridge number a 
week before the meeting.

Please let us know if the date/time absolutely doesn't work for you.

We welcome and invite discussion of these issues on the mailing list 
before the meeting.

Thanks,
     Paul and Yaron