Subject: [IPsec] ADVPN proposals

From: Yaron Sheffer <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2013 07:45:20 +0300

<co-chair hats on>

Greetings again. The WG is starting to see proposals for our main work 
item, Auto Discovery VPNs (ADVPNs). The chairs are aware of two relevant 
drafts:
    draft-sathyanarayan-ipsecme-advpn
    draft-mao-ipsecme-ad-vpn-protocol
The chairs would appreciate hearing, on-list or off-list, whether others 
plan to submit proposals.

It is our strong hope that each of the proposals discuss in detail how 
the proposal relates to the ADVPN requirements that the WG has recently 
finished (draft-ietf-ipsecme-ad-vpn-problem, which will soon be on its 
way to the RFC Editor), and that the initial discussion of the drafts 
here on the list focus on the match between the proposal and the 
requirements. It is easy to start focusing on the technology used in 
such proposals, and the WG will get there, but we want to be sure 
anything we talk about meets the WG's requirements before we spend much 
time on the technical choices.

To that end, we encourage WG members to start commenting on the 
proposals with an eye to the requirements, particularly the requirements 
that are most important to each of you. The presentations at the WG 
meeting in Berlin (which is about two weeks away) will focus on the 
requirements, and we would really appreciate it if everyone has read the 
proposals before the meeting. Having an active discussion on the list in 
the next two weeks will help make our meeting time even more useful.

--Paul Hoffman and Yaron Sheffer