Subject: [IPsec] First version of RFC5996bis

From: Tero Kivinen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Aug 2013 16:29:24 +0300

In the last IETF there has been discussion that we should start
driving IPsec protocols from proposed standard to full standard.
Mostly this needs to be done because some other standardization
organizations say they cannot refer to proposed standards, they can
only refer to real standards, and they do not see proposed standards
as real standards.

Sean Turner promised that he would be willing to do the IESG legwork
for this process, but to start that we needed to get the actual
documents ready first. The process of going from proposed standard to
full standards is easier now, but there are still some things we need
to do. The first thing is that we need to take all errata we have for
the document and create a document which fixes that.

To get this process starting I took the RFC5996, and put in the two
errata items we had for that RFC. The submitted the resulting
draft-kivinen-ipsecme-ikev2-rfc5996bis today.

This version only puts in the errata, and a section "Differences
between RFC5996 and This Document".

The problem is that we have been discussing in the WG about the
draft-kivinen-ipsecme-oob-pubkey draft, and that draft currently
obsoletes RAW RSA public keys from the RFC5996 and then adds new one.
We cannot really add new features at this point as it is not widely
implemented or used, but I think we can safely obsolete the RAW RSA
support as it has not been widely used.

So my plan is to make new version of this draft in three weeks time (I
will be vacation for two weeks starting next Monday), and in that
draft obsolete the RAW RSA public keys. After that I will remove all
text about obsoleting the RAW RSA public keys from my
draft-kivinen-ipsecme-oob-pubkey document and it will just be one
normal extension adding stuff to the rfc5996bis.

So if you have any objections for that speak up now...

In addition to the IKEv2, we most likely want to move some other
documents forward too. Some of those are easy like RFC2451 "The ESP
CBC-Mode Cipher Algorithms", RFC3526 "More Modular Exponential (MODP)
Diffie-Hellman groups for Internet Key Exchange", and RFC3986 "UDP
Encapsulation of IPsec ESP Packets", as there is no errata, and they
are widely used.

Some are harder, as we need to make new versions because of errata
(RFC4303 ESP). For some others we need to discuss do we want to make
them forward (AH, MOBIKE etc). But I think discussion about the other
documents should be done on the separate thread, this is just first
step on the road.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
From: [email-masked]
To: "Paul E. Hoffman" <[email-masked]>, Pasi Eronen <[email-masked]>,
        Charlie Kaufman <[email-masked]>,
        Tero Kivinen <[email-masked]>, Yoav Nir <[email-masked]>,
        Paul Hoffman <[email-masked]>
Subject: New Version Notification for
	draft-kivinen-ipsecme-ikev2-rfc5996bis-00.txt
Date: Fri, 09 Aug 2013 05:49:39 -0700

A new version of I-D, draft-kivinen-ipsecme-ikev2-rfc5996bis-00.txt
has been successfully submitted by Charlie Kaufman and posted to the
IETF repository.

Filename:	 draft-kivinen-ipsecme-ikev2-rfc5996bis
Revision:	 00
Title:		 Internet Key Exchange Protocol Version 2 (IKEv2)
Creation date:	 2013-08-09
Group:		 Individual Submission
Number of pages: 137
URL:             http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-kivinen-ipsecme-ikev2-rfc5996bis-00.txt
Status:          http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-kivinen-ipsecme-ikev2-rfc5996bis
Htmlized:        http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-kivinen-ipsecme-ikev2-rfc5996bis-00

Abstract:
   This document describes version 2 of the Internet Key Exchange (IKE)
   protocol.  IKE is a component of IPsec used for performing mutual
   authentication and establishing and maintaining Security Associations
   (SAs).  This document replaces and updates RFC 4306, and includes all
   of the clarifications from RFC 4718.

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

The IETF Secretariat
-- 
[email-masked]

---

From: Yaron Sheffer <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 09 Aug 2013 17:16:19 +0300

Hi Tero,

Good stuff! Thanks a lot!

One quick typo: "two Hash and URL format", should be "formats".

Question: RFC 5996 is updated by a single document, which is RFC 5998 
that just got published. The new RFC adds a mandatory, security-critical 
test to IKEv2, and I would like to add to Sec. 1.2 (at the end of the 
paragraph "Both parties in the IKE_AUTH...", this sentence: Both parties 
MUST perform the Diffie-Hellman recipient tests defined in [RFC 5998] 
(and a normative reference). Do you see any issues with that?

Thanks,
     Yaron

---

From: Yaron Sheffer <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 09 Aug 2013 23:26:02 +0300

Sorry, I meant RFC 6989 (thanks Graham).

	Yaron

On 2013-08-09 17:16, Yaron Sheffer wrote:
>> URL:
>> http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-kivinen-ipsecme-ikev2-rfc5996bis-00.txt
>>
>> Status:
>> http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-kivinen-ipsecme-ikev2-rfc5996bis
>> Htmlized:
>> http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-kivinen-ipsecme-ikev2-rfc5996bis-00
>>
>>
>> Abstract: