Subject: [IPsec] IPsec/Diet-ESP for IoT and Minimal ESP

From: Daniel Migault <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2014 15:48:12 +0100

Hi,

Please find the two drafts we have just posted. They are about
IPsec/ESP minimal implementation and Diet-ESP designed for IoT.

Comment are welcome!

Best Regards,
Daniel

Name:        draft-mglt-dice-diet-esp
Revision:    00
Title:        Diet-ESP: a flexible and compressed format for IPsec/ESP
Document date:    2014-01-31
Group:        Individual Submission
Pages:        21
URL:http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-mglt-dice-diet-esp-00.txt
Status:https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-mglt-dice-diet-esp/
Htmlized:http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-mglt-dice-diet-esp-00

Abstract:
   IPsec/ESP has been designed to secure IP packets exchanged between
   two nodes.  IPsec implements security at the IP layer which makes
   security transparent to the applications, as opposed to TLS or DTLS
   that requires application to implement TLS/DTLS.  As a result, IPsec
   enable to define the security rules in a similar way one establishes
   firewall rules.

   One of the IPsec's drawbacks is that implementing security on a per
   packet basis adds overhead to each IP packet.  Considering IoT
   devices, the data transmitted over an IP packet is expected to be
   rather small, and the cost of sending extra bytes is so high that
   IPsec/ESP can hardly be used for IoT as it is currently defined in
   RFC 4303.

   This document defines Diet-ESP, a protocol that compress and reduce
   the ESP overhead of IPsec/ESP so that it can fit security and energy
   efficient IoT requirements.  Diet-ESP use already existing mechanism
   like IKEv2 to negotiate the compression format.  Furthermore a lot of
   information, already existing for an IPsec Security Association, are
   reused to offer light negotiation in addition to maximum compression.

Name:        draft-mglt-lwig-minimal-esp
Revision:    00
Title:        Minimal ESP
Document date:    2014-01-31
Group:        Individual Submission
Pages:        6
URL:http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-mglt-lwig-minimal-esp-00.txt
Status:https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-mglt-lwig-minimal-esp/
Htmlized:http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-mglt-lwig-minimal-esp-00

Abstract:
   This document describes a minimal version of the IP Encapsulation
   Security Payload (ESP) described in RFC 4303 which is part of the
   IPsec suite.

   ESP is used to provide confidentiality, data origin authentication,
   connectionless integrity, an anti-replay service (a form of partial
   sequence integrity), and limited traffic flow confidentiality.

   This document does not update or modify RFC 4303, but provides a
   compact description of the minimal version of the protocol.  If this
   document and RFC 4303 conflicts then RFC 4303 is the authoritative
   description.

-- 
Daniel Migault
Orange Labs -- Security
+33 6 70 72 69 58