Subject: [IPsec] Last Call: <draft-ietf-ipsecme-esp-ah-reqts-07.txt> (Cryptographic Algorithm Implementation Requirements and Usage Guidance for Encapsulating Security Payload (ESP) and Authentication Header (AH)) to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2014 14:49:12 -0700

The IESG has received a request from the IP Security Maintenance and
Extensions WG (ipsecme) to consider the following document:
- 'Cryptographic Algorithm Implementation Requirements and Usage Guidance
   for Encapsulating Security Payload (ESP) and Authentication Header
   (AH)'
  <draft-ietf-ipsecme-esp-ah-reqts-07.txt> as Proposed Standard

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2014-05-02. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the
beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   This Internet Draft is a standards track proposal to update the
   Cryptographic Algorithm Implementation Requirements for ESP and AH;
   it also adds usage guidance to help in the selection of these
   algorithms.

   The Encapsulating Security Payload (ESP) and Authentication Header
   (AH) protocols make use of various cryptographic algorithms to
   provide confidentiality and/or data origin authentication to
   protected data communications in the IP Security (IPsec)
   architecture.  To ensure interoperability between disparate
   implementations, the IPsec standard specifies a set of mandatory-to-
   implement algorithms.  This document specifies the current set of
   mandatory-to-implement algorithms for ESP and AH, specifies
   algorithms that should be implemented because they may be promoted to
   mandatory at some future time, and also recommends against the
   implementation of some obsolete algorithms.  Usage guidance is also
   provided to help the user of ESP and AH best achieve their security
   goals through appropriate choices of cryptographic algorithms.

   This document obsoletes RFC 4835.

The file can be obtained via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-ipsecme-esp-ah-reqts/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-ipsecme-esp-ah-reqts/ballot/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.