Subject: CPL and SIP-CGI

From: "Mikael Larsson L (ERA)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2000 10:56:46 +0100

Hello,
I have following questions I hope someone could give an answer on:

Could CPL and SIP-CGI be seen as complementary or should they be
viewed as two different approaches for creating e.g. telephony features?

To me it seems that CPL could be used as an off-line service creation
technology and SIP-CGI used for real-time service operation during
traffic which then would mean they could complement each other.
I.e. write the service with CPL as a kind of SIP CGI script that is
called in during traffic.

Regards,
Mikael Larsson

---------
This message came from the IETF IPTEL Working Group Mailing List.

---

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2000 09:21:03 -0500

Both are viewed as different approaches for creating VoIP services. Both
are written offline, and both are executed when messages arrive in order
to execute features.

The difference is in the applicability. CPL is designed for end user
service creation. Its purposefully limited in capabilities; its not a
general purpose programming language. Its execution on a server is
generally very fast. CGI is more powerful - you can do nearly anything.
Its programming language independent. It incurs a process-spawning
overhead, so its less efficient than CPL, (CPL is usually executed in
the same process as the server). As a service provider, I would not want
to execute CGI scripts sent to me by end users. However, I would prefer
to use CGI to develop my own services.

Note, however, nothing prevents you from use CGI as the execution
envrionment for a CPL script, which is what I think you are suggesting.

-Jonathan R. 

-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg                       200 Executive Drive
Chief Scientist                             Suite 120 
dynamicsoft                                 West Orange, NJ 07052
[email-masked]                     FAX:   (732) 741-4778
http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~jdrosen         PHONE: (732) 741-7244
http://www.dynamicsoft.com

---------