Subject: Resource Reservation

From: "Perry Erick R." <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 07 Mar 2000 22:51:23 +0800

Hi all,
I don't know whether I asked to the right forum, I hope I could find
some pointers here. To my knowledge, SIP is a lightweight protocol
designed for Internet, so ISP could offer telephone service (cmiiw), CPL
is a programming framework to create Internet Telephony Services, such
as IN. The question is: how to reserve resource (i.e. bandwidth) for a
pair of source-destination in this Internet's TCP/IP mode. The PSTN
enojoys a strict 64-kbps (PCM-30) of bandwidth, eventhough there's no
signal transmitted.

To my knowledge also: Telcordia has developed MGCP which include
resource reservation in its packet-based telephone framework. Other
framework offered is AT&T's DOSA (Distributed Open Signaling
Architecture). Both offer a resource reservation process before
communication between source-destination begins.

How do I reserve resource in the IP Tel framework? I believe without a
sturdy resource method, packet-based communication cannot match the PSTN
(unless someone has another, better arguments). The RSVP, as I know it,
is not sturdy enough to handle millions of call simultaneously to match
PSTN's capability.

Thanks for any answers,
--rick
Telkom Indonesia
Network Division

---------
This message came from the IETF IPTEL Working Group Mailing List.

---

From: Dean Willis <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2000 17:00:24 -0600

There is some reference to this problem in the SIP WG "QoS Interworking"
task discussed at:

http://www.softarmor.com/sipwg/tasks/index.html

Of particular interest are:

http://www.softarmor.com/sipwg/drafts/draft-manyfolks-sip-resource-00.txt
http://www.softarmor.com/sipwg/drafts/draft-sinnreich-sip-qos-osp-01.txt
http://www.softarmor.com/sipwg/drafts/draft-gibson-sip-qos-resv-00.txt

and
http://www.softarmor.com/sipwg/drafts/draft-dcsgroup-sip-resource-00.txt

which I think was obsoleted by the first reference above.

The basic approach is that SIP can use whatever IP level resource management
approach the underlying networks support. Efforts have been made to work
with MPLS, RSVP, DiffServ, DOCSYS, and other mechanisms.

In the carrier arena, this looks likely to converge on a two-level model
with RSVP at the edge and DiffServ in the core.

--
Dean

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked]
> [mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of Perry
> Erick R.
> Sent: Tuesday, March 07, 2000 8:51 AM
> To: IP Tel
> Subject: Resource Reservation
>
>
> Hi all,

---------