Subject: Initial CFP: IP Telecom Services 2000 Workshop

From: IPTS 2000 <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2000 08:34:19 -0500

[Please accept our apologies for multiple copies of this call.]

-------------  PRELIMINARY CALL FOR PAPERS  ---------------

       IP TELECOM SERVICES WORKSHOP 2000 (IPTS 2000)

                    co-located with
             Fall 2000 Voice on the Net (VON)

                     organized by
                  AT&T Labs Research
                      pulver.com

         Cobb Galleria, Atlanta, Georgia, U.S.A
                  September 11, 2000

            submission deadline: June 16, 2000
         http://www.research.att.com/conf/ipts2000/

-----------------------------------------------------------

IPTS 2000 is a new workshop dedicated to the important, emerging field
of IP Telecom Services research.

In contrast to the services available on the PSTN, a new world of
telecom services is possible on an IP-based infrastructure. This world
presents new challenges for service development, deployment and
management. This one-day workshop will serve as a forum for the
dissemination of research relating to these challenges.

The IPTS 2000 Program Committee invites submission of papers on
substantial, original and previously unpublished research in IP
telecom services, including, but not limited to:

- service architectures
  (e.g. AIN, SoftSwitch, JAIN, Parlay, DFC)
- service creation environments
- protocols, standards and interoperability
  (e.g. H.323, SIP, MGCP, Megaco/H.248, etc.)
- service programming languages
- service management - billing, fault tolerance, monitoring
- novel services

We welcome papers describing original research; position papers
describing research interests in the field, work in progress, or
future directions of research; project or system descriptions.

IMPORTANT DATES

June 16, 2000        Submission deadline
July 21, 2000        Notification of acceptance
August 25, 2000      Final version of papers
September 11, 2000   IPTS 2000

PAPER SUBMISSIONS

Papers must describe original, previously unpublished work that has
not been simultaneously submitted for publication elsewhere. They must
be written in English, not exceeding 6 pages including figures, tables
and references in 10-12 point font on 8.5x11-inch (US letter) paper.
The first page must include an abstract of up to 200 words, keywords,
and email address of the corresponding author.

All papers must be submitted electronically unless specifically
approved by the Workshop Co-Chairs. Submissions in PostScript or PDF
format should be sent to mailto:[email-masked].

Authors of accepted papers are expected to present their contribution
at the workshop.  The proceedings will be published in hardcopy and on
the web.

REVIEW PROCEDURE

All submissions will be subject to academic peer review by the IPTS
2000 Program Committee under the chairmanship of the Workshop
Co-Chairs. Each paper will receive three written reviews, and reviews
will be returned to the authors.  The Workshop Co-Chairs have final
authority over the review process and all decisions relating to
acceptance of papers. Review criteria include originality of ideas,
technical soundness, significance of results, and quality of
presentation.

CONFERENCE VENUE AND RELATED EVENTS

IPTS 2000 will be held on September 11, 2000 in Atlanta, Georgia. The
workshop will be co-located with Fall 2000 Voice on the Net (VON). 
Details about Fall 2000 VON can be found at http://pulver.com.

IPTS 2000 is organized by AT&T Labs Research
(http://www.research.att.com) and pulver.com (http://pulver.com).

WORKSHOP CO-CHAIRS

Greg Bond, AT&T Labs Research
Eric Cheung, AT&T Labs Research

PROGRAM COMMITTEE

Mauricio Arango, Sun Microsystems Labs
Joanne Atlee, University of Waterloo
Ralph Blumenthal, Daewoo Telecom
Scott Hoffpauir, BroadSoft
Evan Magill, University of Strathclyde
Peter Mataga, dynamicsoft
Bernie Pagurek, Carleton University
Jonathan Rosenberg, dynamicsoft
Henning Schulzrinne, Columbia University
Greg Utas, Nortel Networks
Pamela Zave, AT&T Labs Research

FURTHER GENERAL INFORMATION

http://www.research.att.com/conf/ipts2000

---------
This message came from the IETF IPTEL Working Group Mailing List.

---

From: "Eber Mello" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2000 15:43:04 -0800

Hi Rosenberg,

Would you comment on this?

The current CPL draft (March 10/2000) states that "Otherwise" is an 
optional node on the output list of the "Switch-" nodes; we understand 
that it makes more sense to always be able to find
a way out of a non signalling action node, meaning that a CPL script
would be able to handle all calls given to it. It seems quite simple
to expect a user to specify either to drop ("Reject") or forward ("Proxy")
all other calls not handled by the other output nodes of a "Switch-" node.
This  probably simplifies the script execution and seems safer as gives 
no room for mistakenly performing an action not meant to be executed
(all actions are defined by the latest signalling action node visited 
vis-a-vis the latest request, response or internal event arrived).

If we could go this way we could have the SIP registration define either
"proxy", "redirect" or "script" policy for a user, meaning that this user 
either has services (policy=script) or not (policy=redirect or proxy).

Thanks,

Eber Mello 
SS8 Networks Canada.
www.ss8networks.com
phone: 613-5921418 

---------