Subject: [IPTEL] TRIP NextHopServer

From: Dave Walker <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 03 Apr 2000 17:13:21 -0400

I think that we need to add a port number field to NextHopServer.  Unless 
I missed something in the mailing list archives, it seems that this was 
accepted, but didn't make it into the draft.  Of course we can always 
guess 5060 for SIP, and 1720 for H.323 (which might not work for GK routed 
signalling), but these are only defaults:  servers may use other ports.  

The current draft refers to RFC 1700 for address family, and mentions 
(as an editor's note) that it'd be nice to get an address family id for 
DNS names.  I'm not sure that the reference to that RFC is appropriate, 
since it's kind of out-of-date, and could be replaced by a pointer to 
http://www.isi.edu/in-notes/iana/assignments/address-family-numbers (if
references to URLs are legal in RFCs!).  Looking there, it seems that
we already have an identifier for DNS.

Regards,

Dave Walker
SS8 Networks
Ottawa, Canada

_______________________________________________
IPTEL mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.bell-labs.com/mailman/listinfo/iptel

---

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 04 Apr 2000 02:34:40 -0400

> signalling), but these are only defaults:  servers may use other ports.

Yes, this should be in the next revision.

> we already have an identifier for DNS.

During the meeting, there seemed consensus to ditch the rfc1700 address
family thing entirely, and rather use a string which can contain either
a domain name, dotted quad, or IPv6 address in string form. Generally,
the domain name should be used. As Dave pointed out, this is a layer 7
protocol, and so it should be using as high level naming as possible.

-Jonathan R.

-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg                       72 Eagle Rock Ave.
Chief Scientist                             First Floor
dynamicsoft                                 East Hanover, NJ 07936
[email-masked]                     FAX:   (732) 741-4778
http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~jdrosen         PHONE: (732) 741-7244
http://www.dynamicsoft.com