Subject: [IPTEL] Re: TRIP

From: S_S_Dinesh/India/[email-masked]
Date: Mon, 8 May 2000 14:10:22 +0530

"Hussein F. Salama" wrote:
>
> > In any case, determination of where the NPDB query is done is something
> > I don't think is within the scope of iptel to determine. All we need to
> > figure out is what kind of numbers are distributed in TRIP. Near as I
> > can tell, since LRNs still refer to the prefix of numbers served by a
> > switch, doing what we were doing all along works just fine.
> >
>
> Yes what we're doing is OK, because the LRN is part of an office's
> NPA-NXX prefix. But we may have to add a new field to the
> ReachableRoutes attribute to mark a prefix as portable. A prefix is
> marked as portable if at lease one number has been ported out of this
> prefix.

Hmm, why is that? Are you basically saying that if a prefix is marked as
portable, an LS must do an LNP query before routing to numbers in that
prefix? Then, if marked as not portable, there is no need for queries?
If so, its an interesting idea. It solves the problem of N-1, which,
from what I understand, was done in part because only carriers near the
destination would need to install triggers to perform queries on
numbers. However, if information on what prefixes are ported is
distributed in TRIP, this information is effectively dynamically
distributed. This means its equally easy for the query to be done at the
first LS as the last.

-Jonathan R.
--
Jonathan D. Rosenberg                       200 Executive Drive
Chief Scientist                             Suite 120
dynamicsoft                                 West Orange, NJ 07052
[email-masked]                     FAX:   (732) 741-4778
http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~jdrosen         PHONE: (732) 741-7244
http://www.dynamicsoft.com

---------
This message came from the IETF IPTEL Working Group Mailing List.

_______________________________________________
IPTEL mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.bell-labs.com/mailman/listinfo/iptel