Subject: [IPTEL] Re: Gateways and registration

From: S_S_Dinesh/India/[email-masked]
Date: Mon, 8 May 2000 14:10:12 +0530

"James M. Polk" wrote:
>
> All
>
> Parallel question on the reliance of TRIP -- isn't it based on using
> BGP? If that is strickly true, what happens to the SIP Device if BGP
> isn't deployed within a VoIP network domain that still wants to locate
> the Gateway?

TRIP borrows many ideas from BGP, but it in no way whatsoever requires
BGP to actually be running on routers in the network. TRIP runs at the
application layer, between location servers. It doesn't matter one drop
what the underlying layer 3 routing protocols are.

-Jonathan R.

--
Jonathan D. Rosenberg                       200 Executive Drive
Chief Scientist                             Suite 120
dynamicsoft                                 West Orange, NJ 07052
[email-masked]                     FAX:   (732) 741-4778
http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~jdrosen         PHONE: (732) 741-7244
http://www.dynamicsoft.com

---------
This message came from the IETF IPTEL Working Group Mailing List.

_______________________________________________
IPTEL mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.bell-labs.com/mailman/listinfo/iptel