Subject: [IPTEL] Re: CPL's timeouts

From: S_S_Dinesh/India/[email-masked]
Date: Mon, 8 May 2000 14:10:25 +0530

None defined right now as I recall. I'm not sure there needs to be a
standard default. It might be OK for the proxy to set the default
administratively.

-Jonathan R.

Kenny Hom wrote:
>
> Regarding the Call Processing Language (CPL) draft, are there default
> timeout values for the elements that accept timeout as an argument if
> the user does not specify a value?
>
> --
> Kenny Hom
> Senior Software Engineer
> Vovida Networks, 2150 Trade Zone Blvd. 105, San Jose, CA 95131
> [W] (408) 941-1790 / [F] (408) 941-1791
>
> ---------
> This message came from the IETF IPTEL Working Group Mailing List.

--
Jonathan D. Rosenberg                       200 Executive Drive
Chief Scientist                             Suite 120
dynamicsoft                                 West Orange, NJ 07052
[email-masked]                     FAX:   (732) 741-4778
http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~jdrosen         PHONE: (732) 741-7244
http://www.dynamicsoft.com

---------
This message came from the IETF IPTEL Working Group Mailing List.

_______________________________________________
IPTEL mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.bell-labs.com/mailman/listinfo/iptel

---

From: Kenny Hom <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 08 May 2000 17:28:44 -0700

The <address-switch> and <string-switch> seem limited with their types
of matching.  Can regular expressions be used in the match string? 

Should "begins with" & "ends with" be added (useful for user, display, &
possibly host)?  

Also, what about adding the negatives (i.e. is not, not subdomain-of, &
does not contain)?

For address-switch matching on the port subfield, should we add greater
and less?

Thanks in-advance for any help,
Kenny
Senior Engineer
Vovida Networks
[email-masked]

---

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 May 2000 22:58:54 -0400

> of matching.  Can regular expressions be used in the match string?

No. We found that its too complex to be worth it. The address-switch has
parameters that allow you to specify matches on specific fields, which
is mostly what you want.

> Should "begins with" & "ends with" be added (useful for user, display, &

There is a "subdomain-of" tag in the address field which provides this
function for hostnames and telephone numbers. I really don't see it
being useful for the display name of username, as these are too freeform
to usefully have matches like that.

> Also, what about adding the negatives (i.e. is not, not subdomain-of, &

<otherwise>

> For address-switch matching on the port subfield, should we add greater

Why? 

-Jonathan R.

-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg                       72 Eagle Rock Ave.
Chief Scientist                             First Floor
dynamicsoft                                 East Hanover, NJ 07936
[email-masked]                     FAX:   (732) 741-4778
http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~jdrosen         PHONE: (732) 741-7244
http://www.dynamicsoft.com

---

From: Henning Schulzrinne <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 May 2000 16:15:43 -0400

> parameters that allow you to specify matches on specific fields, which

Another reason is that CPL scripts are meant to be written by users and
presented by (graphical) user interfaces. Regular expressions may be
natural for a CS major, but are hard to get right and hard to present in
a fashion understandable to non-technical users. (We are hoping for a
market of pre-written CPL templates, just like HTML templates.) It is
also unlikely that you would want to, say, match on all callers whose
name has the letter R as its third letter or other such things where
regular expressions are useful.

-- 
Henning Schulzrinne   http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~hgs