Subject: [IPTEL] Using TRIP with H.323

From: "Paul E. Jones" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 May 2000 07:06:40 -0400

Folks,

TRIP provides addressing information for SIP and H.323.  The addressing
information may be propagated for individual gateways or for "aggregation
points".  Along with the address, the protocol is specified.  Currently,
that protocol is specified as "SIP" or "H.323".

I believe that H.323 alone may not be sufficient to convey how to get a call
routed when using H.323.  There are a number of protocols available in the
H.323 series of protocols.  There are three primary protocols that would,
and I propose should, be advertised along with the addressing data.  They
are: H.225.0 Call Signaling, H.225.0 RAS, and H.225.0 Annex G.

Currently, the support in TRIP is assumed be limited to H.225.0 Call
Signaling.  That works well when trying to connect directly to a gateway.
However, the aggregation point for H.323 devices or networks may be an H.323
Gatekeeper for a Border Element (as defined in Annex G of H.225.0), and
neither may support H.225.0 Call Signaling.

So, I would like to propose that provisions be added to TRIP to allow
addresses to be advertised along with three different supporting protocols
for H.323:
   H.225.0 Call Signaling
   H.225.0 RAS
   H.225.0 Annex G

The latter two, as I mentioned, are extremely important for build larger
networks where the aggregation point is not an H.323 call signaling entity.

Best Regards,
Paul

_______________________________________________
IPTEL mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.bell-labs.com/mailman/listinfo/iptel