Subject: [IPTEL] Re: TRIP

From: S_S_Dinesh/India/[email-masked]
Date: Mon, 8 May 2000 14:10:21 +0530

James Yu wrote:
>
> The telephone number ranges used for routing decisions need to consider
the
> impacts of number portability when routing calls to the SCNs where number
> portability is supported.  For example, the subscriber number (e.g.,
dialed
> number) and the network routing number (e.g., the Location Routing Number
or
> LRN) are in two different domains in the North America.  In Europe, the
> routing prefix plays a similar role as the LRN (one difference is that
the
> LRN identifies a specific switch while the routing prefix may identify a
> switch or just a network).
>
> If TRIP is used to pass routing information, it should be decided whether
> the "telephone number" is the subscriber number or the LRN/routing
prefix.
> My opinion is that it should be the LRN/routing prefix.  This will keep
the
> routing information static rather than dynamic (e.g., changes every time
a
> number is ported).  Any other thoughts?

I have a question. In your other message, you mention that the LRNs
identify switches, and that they do overlap with the subscriber numbers.
Thats actually OK, so long as the overlap is such that the LRN is for
the switch serving those subscribers whose numbers the switch overlaps.
In other words, if a switch has an LRN that is +1 212 455, that OK so
long as this switch serves the subscribers with numbers +1 212 455-0000
to +1 212 455-9999. The reason that this is OK is that a longest prefix
match on the LRN or a subscriber would still get you the right gateway.
So, my question is: is this the case? Or, is it the case that the LRN
has no relationship with the subscriber numbers it overlaps.

-Jonathan R.
--
Jonathan D. Rosenberg                       200 Executive Drive
Chief Scientist                             Suite 120
dynamicsoft                                 West Orange, NJ 07052
[email-masked]                     FAX:   (732) 741-4778
http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~jdrosen         PHONE: (732) 741-7244
http://www.dynamicsoft.com

---------
This message came from the IETF IPTEL Working Group Mailing List.

_______________________________________________
IPTEL mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.bell-labs.com/mailman/listinfo/iptel