Subject: [IPTEL] Master - Slave Determination

From: "Suntichai Chusywong" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2000 23:17:36 +0700

I wonder when Master - Slave Determinaiton message wil be sent, before or after sending Terminal Capability Set message? After Determining which Endpoint is master, what do we use this result for?

                                                                Thank you very much 
                                                                            Suntichai Chuaywong

---

From: Ron Traficante <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2000 17:28:08 -0700

Since the portion of your question regarding message order has already been
answered - I will take a crack at the second part regarding what the result
is used for. 
 
There are cases where two or more endpoints/terminals may initiate events
simultaneously where there is a resource conflict - in this case it is
necessary for the master endpoint to in order to resolve the conflict.  A
very good example is the logical channel determination, where each endpoint
needs to establish a unique channel for the data streams, and since they are
half-duplex, each two way "conversation" requires two channels.  Thus - if
both endpoints choose the same logical channel for it's part of the
conversation, this results in a conflict.  How this is "resolved" is an
issue of another message on this board as well.  
 
Additionally - in H.235, the master is also responsible for the distribution
of the encryption keys for media channels to other terminals.  

-----Original Message-----
From: Suntichai Chusywong [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Tuesday, June 20, 2000 9:18 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [IPTEL] Master - Slave Determination

I wonder when Master - Slave Determinaiton message wil be sent, before or
after sending Terminal Capability Set message? After Determining which
Endpoint is master, what do we use this result for?

                                                                Thank you
very much 
 
Suntichai Chuaywong

---

From: Ron Traficante <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2000 17:04:08 -0700

-----Original Message-----
From: Suntichai Chusywong [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Tuesday, June 20, 2000 9:18 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [IPTEL] Master - Slave Determination

                                                                Thank you
very much 
 
Suntichai Chuaywong