Subject: Re: [IPTEL] CPL: time-switch recurrence rules

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2000 11:16:49 -0400

From:  Tom Gray@MITEL on 07/13/2000 11:16 AM

The distinction between the capabilities of the CPL language and the management
system which sets up CPL applications should be maintained. In my opinion CPL
should be as simple as possible.  If complicated changes in time constraints are
needed these are best maintained in the management system

Henning Schulzrinne <[email-masked]> on 07/13/2000 09:28:13 AM

To:   Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
cc:   Jonathan Lennox <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
      (bcc: Tom Gray/Kan/Mitel)

Subject:  Re: [IPTEL] CPL: time-switch recurrence rules

Jonathan Rosenberg wrote:
>
> I'm inclined to say no.
>
> We are not solving the same problem. In CPL, we are not looking to
> schedule events, but rather to describe times during which different
> call processing actions take place. I expect that if a user wants to
> have calls blocked from 2-4 pm until next Wed., they would simply change
> their CPL next Wed, for example.

I disagree. I would guess that in most cases, users don't want to
manually reprogram their CPL behavior each time they change their
calendar.

In addition, I want the ability to say "I'm in a lecture TuTh 2.40-4.20,
for N weeks and thus don't bother calling me during that time". I have
this in my calendar - why should I re-enter this manually into a CPL
interface?

(Indeed, I recently came across one commercial product, Swyx, that
claims to do this integration of Outlook and call filtering, very much
in the same way apparently.)

Also, I've done a translation of the Sun calendar manager rules (which
are fairly similar to the iCal features, from what I can tell) and it
wasn't that hard, as long as you had a system routine that could convert
various time notations into one another. You basically end up running a
loop computing matching days/times and subtract the exceptions.

>
> The current format in the cpl draft allows for the most common cases,
> which is time of day filtering (all calls go home after 5pm), and day of
> week (send to voicemail on weekends). In the interests of KISS, I'd
> rather stick to the simpler stuff.
>

--
Henning Schulzrinne   http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~hgs

_______________________________________________
IPTEL mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.bell-labs.com/mailman/listinfo/iptel

_______________________________________________
IPTEL mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.bell-labs.com/mailman/listinfo/iptel