Subject: [IPTEL] draft-yu-tel-url-00.txt

From: James Yu <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2000 12:36:37 -0500

Please note that I've submitted the following I-D:

draft-yu-tel-url-00.txt, "Extensions to the 'tel' and 'fax' URLs to Support
Number Portability", James Yu, 07/11/2000. (14995 bytes). 
     Number portability (NP) allows the telephone subscribers to keep their
telephone numbers when they change service provider, move to a
     new location, or change the subscribed services. The NP implementations
in many countries presently support service provider portability
     for geographic numbers and non-geographical numbers. It has been
identified that NP has impacts on several works-in-progress at the
     IETF. One of the impacts is to carry the NP related information in the
SIP INVITE message. This document proposed the extensions to
     the 'tel' and 'fax' Uniform Resource Locators (URLs) to support NP so
that they can be used to carry the NP related information in the
     Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) Request-URI.

The proposed new parameter is considered as the "future-extension"  for the
global-phone-number and local-phone-number.  The next draft will allow the
"visual-separator"  in the "rn-ident" that is shown in the example of the
current draft and add a reference to ABNF.  It is also possible to separate
the "routing-number" and "npdb-dip-indicator" as two new parameters (In some
cases, they are both present for number portability. In other cases,
routing-number can be present for routing purpose independent of number
portability.   Since SIP can carry the "tel" URL, there may be a need to
address SIP-H.323 interworking if this proposal is adopted. 

Your comments are appreciated.

James Yu
Principal Technical Industry Liaison
NeuStar Inc.
1120 Vermont Avenue, NW,
Suite 550
Washington, D.C. 20005
USA
+1-202-533-2814 (B)
+1-202-533-2976 (Fax)
+1-202-256-1200 (Mobile)
[email-masked]
http://www.neustar.com

_______________________________________________
IPTEL mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.bell-labs.com/mailman/listinfo/iptel