Subject: Re: [IPTEL] CPL: Timezone issues

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2000 16:14:45 -0400

From:  Tom Gray@MITEL on 07/10/2000 04:14 PM

Depending on how a system is implemented, the missing time case may cause a
problem.

 It is not the most serious of issues but a note of it may be helpful

--

Jonathan Lennox <[email-masked]> on 07/10/2000 03:25:38 PM

To:   Tom Gray/Kan/Mitel@Mitel
cc:   Rohan Mahy <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]

Subject:  Re: [IPTEL] CPL: Timezone issues

On Mon, July 10 2000, "Tom Gray" wrote to "Jonathan Lennox, Rohan Mahy,
[email-masked]" saying:

> This may seem like an obvious question but my reading of the draft doesn't
> answer it.
>
> What happens if there are two 1:30 am's on a single day or none? These are the
> cases in which the time reverts to 1am from 2am and when the time jumps fromm
> 1am to 2pm which are typical of day light saving handling. How will a script
> specifying 1:30 am cope with these situations? How will defined time ranges be
> affected?

Since the CPL only specifies time ranges, not actual events, I think this is
only a problem for the fall-back case (repeated times), not the
spring-forward case (skipped times).  I think start times should be assumed
to be the earlier instance of the time, while end times should be the latter
instance.  I'll add a sentence about this.

--
Jonathan Lennox
[email-masked]

_______________________________________________
IPTEL mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.bell-labs.com/mailman/listinfo/iptel

_______________________________________________
IPTEL mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.bell-labs.com/mailman/listinfo/iptel

---

From: Henning Schulzrinne <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2000 16:19:08 -0400

> Depending on how a system is implemented, the missing time case may cause a

How can a time that never occurs cause a problem? By definition, there
aren't any SIP requests that arrive during that time, since it doesn't
exist... (Something about falling trees in a forest comes to mind...)

-- 
Henning Schulzrinne   http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~hgs