Subject: [IPTEL] Invitation for JointNM meeting 9-11 August 200

From: "Wijnen, Bert (Bert)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2000 19:30:16 +0200

Hi,

Various technical people who normally attend Tiphon, ITU, ETSI, T1M1,
have agreed to work together in a series of so called 
"Joint Network Management" meetings.
They have also invited technical contribution from subject matter
experts who are active in the IETF and other organisations. 

The relevant IETF Area Directors do encourage individual participation
by subject matter experts, even though these meetings are not to be
seen as formal IETF meetings. Individuals that attend should not be 
seen as speaking for the IETF or for IETF working groups but the ADs 
feel that anything that improves communication between groups working 
on simular issues is helpful

The next meeting is Aug 9-11 in Torrance, California. Subject matter 
experts are invited to participate (on personal title).

There is no need to register for the meeting, 
you can just show up at the Torrance Marriott.
The proposed agenda and the "scope of activities" is attached.

Bert Wijnen & Randy Bush  
Area Directors Operations and Management
Scott Bradner, Area Director Transport

-------------------------- -------------------------------------
AGENDA FOR JOINT NM MEETING
AUGUST 9-11, 2000

NOTE ON SCOPE OF ACTIVITIES: Ongoing discussions have made it evident
that there may some clarification required with respect to the scope 
of the activities within the Joint-NM Group (JNG).  
In a nutshell, the scope of the JNG includes all management aspects 
of IP and hybrid circuit switched/packet networks.   
At the first joint session it was agreed that priority will be given 
to VoIP services as several of the standards organizations 
participating in this effort are focusing on this service. 
The implications of this priority are that requirements will be 
analyzed with respect to VoIP and the management infrastructure 
required to support this service will be defined.  
However, whenever, it is evident that a particular management 
activity is useful for other applications it will be generalized 
to accommodate those services. In addition, at the NE or NM level 
there may be lots of functionality that is application agnostic, 
again this functionality will be defined in the appropriate manner.   
In addition, since the group is driven by contributions, 
contributions that address the broader problem will also be accepted.

August 9, 2000

1. Approval of Agenda

2. Fault Management (for VoIP environment) (1 Day)

* Alarm Reporting Requirements VoIP [Build on Results of May Meeting]
* Abstract Information Model & Flows for Alarm Reporting
Drafting Group to produce first cut of text may be established

* Trouble-ticket Requirements for VoIP [Build on Results of May Meeting]
* Abstract Information Model & Flows for Trouble Ticketing

3. Performance Management for the VoIP environment (1/2 day)

* QoS environment for VoIP [Inpiut required from QoS Experts]

* Traffic management requirements for VoIP [Build on Results of May Meeting]
* Evaluation of Q,823 for the IP environment

4. Progress of Framework Documents (1/2 day)

5. New Business (IE Additional contributions received on topics) (1/4 day)

6. Work Plan for future meetings (1/4 day)

7. Meeting wrap up and call for contributions for August meeting

------------------------

more information may be available at:
      http://www.etsi.org/jointnm/jointnm.htm
or at:
      http://list.etsi.fr/archives/jointnm.html

_______________________________________________
IPTEL mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.bell-labs.com/mailman/listinfo/iptel