Subject: [IPTEL] CPL Question About Priority

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2000 17:26:54 -0600

The "location" node has an optional "priority" parameter, but the "lookup"
node does not. Nor does the CPL draft specify the priority of the location
initially in the location set for an outgoing call. 

Suppose I wanted to write a script that, for outgoing calls, tried some
other number first, and if that call failed, then tried the original number.
It seems to me that there is no portable way of doing that, since the
priority of the location initially in the location set is not specified.

Section 7.1 says, "The priority of locations in a set is determined by
server policy, though CPL servers SHOULD honor the priority parameter of the
location tag." Why is this only a SHOULD and not a MUST? And why are no
priorities defined for the other cases mentioned above?

- Cliff Harris 

_______________________________________________
IPTEL mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.bell-labs.com/mailman/listinfo/iptel

---

From: Jonathan Lennox <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2000 15:56:35 -0500 (EST)

> initially in the location set for an outgoing call. 

The assumption is that lookups will supply priorities.  The model is of SIP
registrations, which have associated 'q' values.

It's true that there's no priority specified for the initial address.  I
suppose it should be 1.0.

> priority of the location initially in the location set is not specified.

No, there isn't any way to do this in the CPL.  In what circumstance would
you want to do it?  Remember that CPL is deliberately not a Turing-complete
language, and deliberately we restricted it to only the sorts of component
primitives that we thought would be useful.

> priorities defined for the other cases mentioned above?

I didn't see any reason to force a MUST, in case there were other server
policies that were invoked.

-- 
Jonathan Lennox
[email-masked]