Subject: RE: [Iptel] 2806bis is for everyone, not just for Christmas?

From: "Conroy, Lawrence (SMTP)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2003 16:53:43 +0000

At 11:36 am -0500 28/1/03, Rosen, Brian wrote:
>The discussion revolves around the use of the "context" parameter.
>I believe that all the other potential users of tel: uris will be
>very happy without context, i.e. global numbers.  That will be MUCH
>better than having to devise sip-independent definitions of context.
>If you have a use for a tel uri not related to sip, that needs
>context, I'd like to understand it.
>
>Brian

Hi Brian, folks,

  A Web page - recipient has a in-built PSTN dialer (yup, they should
convert to using SIP and a 'Net link, but...)

If the URL publisher wants calls to a number only from locals, with
another number for "out of towners", this gives the context in which
that URL value should be used.

Recipient doesn't need a full dialing plan to know if this includes
them - same issue as in comments on SIPPING list.

Yes, there are other ways of doing this. However, it has been there
since 2806 so the fact that it can be done some other way is not a
strong reason for throwing it out, IMHO.

atb, L
-- 
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Roke Manor Research    : This information is provided "as is" and is not
<mailto:[email-masked]>: intended to create any contractual or legal
<tel:+441794833666>    : relationship.
_______________________________________________
Iptel mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/iptel

---

From: "Stastny Richard" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2003 14:36:32 +0100

I fully agree with Jonathan and Lawrence that we need a context for
non FQ E.164 numbers. Another important example is the
usage of the tel URI in ENUM for private numbering plans and 
network-specific numbers.
 
regards
Richard

	-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht----- 
	Von: Jonathan Rosenberg [mailto:[email-masked]] 
	Gesendet: Di 28.01.2003 18:07 
	An: Rosen, Brian 
	Cc: 'Conroy, Lawrence (SMTP)'; [email-masked] 
	Betreff: Re: [Iptel] 2806bis is for everyone, not just for Christmas?

	In its role purely as a name, the context is important to define scope.
	One can imagine comparing these things for equality in order to
	determine if two users in a database have the same phone number.
	
	Also, recall that the original use of the tel URI was to embed it in web
	pages, and when a user clicked on it, a PSTN call was made from a modem
	card in a PC. That use could also benefit from context, in order to
	determine whether the number that was clicked on was in the appropraite
	scope to be dialed from that PC.
	
	-Jonathan R.
	
	Rosen, Brian wrote:
	>>-----Original Message-----
	>>From: Conroy, Lawrence (SMTP) [mailto:[email-masked]]
	>>Sent: Tuesday, January 28, 2003 10:27 AM
	>>To: Henning Schulzrinne
	>>Cc: [email-masked]
	>>Subject: [Iptel] 2806bis is for everyone, not just for Christmas?
	>>
	>>
	>>Hi Henning, folks,
	>>   I send this to IPTEL as "holder of 2806bis" as it's a
	>>general issue.
	>>
	>>Looking at the SIPPING discussions, they (understandably) focus on
	>>the SIPPING scope. However, there are statements there like [with this
	>>assumption] "the text in 2806bis can get considerably smaller and more
	>>focused", where [this assumption] focuses on SIPPING issues only.
	>>
	>>Q:: Are all uses of the tel: URI scheme still considered rather
	>>than a particular (if most important) usage?
	>>If so, how do we reconcile these disparate uses - in 2806bis or
	>>by qualifications for specific use?
	>>
	>>This *has* to be a common issue but I'm not quite sure how it plays
	>>out - the DDDS cluster is one way (but I hope we don't end up with
	>>six circularly referential docs for this URI scheme definition :).
	>>
	>>all the best,
	>>   Lawrence
	>>--
	
	--
	Jonathan D. Rosenberg, Ph.D.                72 Eagle Rock Ave.
	Chief Scientist                             First Floor
	dynamicsoft                                 East Hanover, NJ 07936
	[email-masked]                     FAX:   (973) 952-5050
	http://www.jdrosen.net                      PHONE: (973) 952-5000
	http://www.dynamicsoft.com