Subject: [Iptel] Getting CPL off of rfc-ed queue

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2003 14:54:57 -0400

Folks,

The iptel group completed the CPL spec, and got it approved by IESG, 
quite a long time ago (well over a year). The CPL spec is still in the 
rfc editors queue, blocked on a reference to the caller preferences 
spec. As you may know, caller prefs has had a rocky history in the SIP 
group, and its not clear that its going to be done really soon either. 
As a result, caller prefs was split in half. One half covers 
capabilities, which is more stable, and the other half, the actual 
caller preferences, which needs additional work and review.

Unfortunately, CPL has a bunch of features which make direct use of 
caller preferences (not just the capabilities stuff), and thus it 
continues to have a normative reference to it.

In order to make progress on CPL, and get it as an RFC already, I 
discussed a plan with our ADs, Cullen, and the CPL authors, which we 
would like working group input on:

1. We will remove CPL from the rfc-ed, and bring it back into iptel 
for another revision.

2. In that revision, we will:

   A. remove the features that make CPL dependent on caller preferences,
   B. convert the DTD to a schema, such that there is no loss of 
interoperability with any implementations which are using the DTD
   C. update references
   D. typos

We will NOT be introducing any other features or capabilities. All 
changes are restricted to one of the above four groups.

3. These changes will be made fairly quickly (one month or so), and 
after that, we will issue a wglc for the document, and then send it to 
iesg for approval once more and reinsertion onto the rfc-ed queue.

Please provide input on whether you are in agreement or disagreement 
with this plan.

Thanks,
Jonathan R.

-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg, Ph.D.                600 Lanidex Plaza
Chief Technology Officer                    Parsippany, NJ 07054-2711
dynamicsoft
[email-masked]                     FAX:   (973) 952-5050
http://www.jdrosen.net                      PHONE: (973) 952-5000
http://www.dynamicsoft.com

_______________________________________________
Iptel mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/iptel

---

From: "David R. Oran" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2003 15:02:29 -0400

Seems like a good plan to me.
Dave.

--On Thursday, July 10, 2003 2:54 PM -0400 Jonathan Rosenberg 
<[email-masked]> wrote:

> rfc editors queue, blocked on a reference to the caller preferences spec.
> As you may know, caller prefs has had a rocky history in the SIP group,
> and its not clear that its going to be done really soon either. As a
> result, caller prefs was split in half. One half covers capabilities,
> which is more stable, and the other half, the actual caller preferences,
> which needs additional work and review.
>
> 1. We will remove CPL from the rfc-ed, and bring it back into iptel for
> another revision.
>
> interoperability with any implementations which are using the DTD    C.
> update references
>    D. typos
>
> 3. These changes will be made fairly quickly (one month or so), and after
> that, we will issue a wglc for the document, and then send it to iesg for
> approval once more and reinsertion onto the rfc-ed queue.
>
>
> Please provide input on whether you are in agreement or disagreement with
> this plan.
>
> Thanks,
> Jonathan R.
>
> --

------------------------
David R. Oran
Cisco Systems
7 Ladyslipper Lane
Acton, MA 01720
Office: +1 978 264 2048
VoIP: +1 408 571 4576
Email: [email-masked]

---

From: "Vijay K. Gurbani" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2003 15:32:34 -0500

>   A. remove the features that make CPL dependent on caller preferences,

Will the removal of the caller preference features hobble CPL or
limit is usability in any way?

Thanks,

- vijay
-- 
Vijay K. Gurbani  vkg@{lucent.com,research.bell-labs.com,acm.org}
Wireless Networks Group/Internet Software and Services
Lucent Technologies/Bell Labs Innovations, 2000 Lucent Lane, Rm 6G-440
Naperville, Illinois 60566     Voice: +1 630 224 0216

---

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2003 16:59:39 -0400

> limit is usability in any way?

TO my knowledge, no one is using these features of CPL. But, thats why 
we are polling the group. Do speak up if you think these capabilities 
are essential. Given the limited support caller prefs itself sees in 
products, I suspect there is really no usage.

-Jonathan R.

---

From: dENIS Vandersteene <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2003 10:04:16 +0200

Hi,

Seems a very good idea indeed, so that CPL can at least become a "real" 
standard...

By the way, the draft lennox-sip-reg-payload-01.txt (Transporting User 
Control Information in SIP REGISTER Payloads, which gives a way to load 
CPL scripts on a server via REGISTER messages) is out of date since a 
long time. The authors told me a while ago that this mechanism would be 
replaced by another one... Is this work still in progress, or will the 
draft be updated in a near future?

dENIS

-- 
.........................................................
 Vandersteene dENIS                     Software Engineer
                                          Indigo Software

 Phone: +32 2 235 09 41                     rue wiertz 50
 Fax : +32 2 280 26 76                     1050 Bruxelles
 [email-masked]                               Belgium
                                  http://www.indigosw.com
.........................................................

---

From: Cullen Jennings <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2003 22:42:46 -0700

Until it shows up in the directory (after the Vienna meeting) there is a new
version of the draft at

http://www.softarmor.com/iptel/drafts/draft-ietf-iptel-trip-mib-07.txt

---

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2003 10:55:45 -0400

> draft be updated in a near future?

I have actually been thinkign about this. I always thought that 
setting of CPL was a provisioning operation, and such, seemed like a 
good match for xcap:

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-simple-xcap-00.txt

which we are considering in simple for setting buddy lists and 
authorization policy. Also under consideration for usage in setting 
coference policies. You'd need to define an application usage for CPL. 
Would be pretty easy.

-Jonathan R.