Subject: [Isms] Fwd: Protocol Action: 'Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP) Context EngineID Discovery' to Draft Standard

From: Sean Turner <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 01 Jun 2011 11:33:26 -0400

FYI ...

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Protocol Action: 'Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP) 
Context EngineID Discovery' to Draft Standard
Date: Tue, 31 May 2011 13:31:35 -0700 (PDT)
From: IESG Secretary <[email-masked]>
To: IETF Announcement list <[email-masked]>
CC: [email-masked], [email-masked]

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP) Context EngineID Discovery '
  RFC 5343 as a Draft Standard

This document is the product of the Operations and Management Area Working
Group.

The IESG contact persons are Dan Romascanu and Ron Bonica.

A URL of this RFC is:
http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc5343.txt

Technical Summary

   The Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP) version three (SNMPv3)
   requires that an application know the identifier (snmpEngineID) of
   the remote SNMP protocol engine in order to retrieve or manipulate
   objects maintained on the remote SNMP entity.

   This document introduces a well-known localEngineID and a discovery
   mechanism that can be used to learn the snmpEngineID of a remote SNMP
   protocol engine.  The proposed mechanism is independent of the
   features provided by SNMP security models and may also be used by
   other protocol interfaces providing access to managed objects.

   This document updates RFC 3411.

Working Group Summary

   The document is being advanced from Proposed Standard to Draft
   Standard together with RFC 5590, RFC 5591, and RFC 5953.

Document Quality

   Two independent implementations of SNMP Context EngineID
   Discovery have been developed, tested, and found to be
   interoperable. The developers of both implementation agree that
   RFC 5343 is sufficiently clear to allow for interoperable
   implementations. The implementation report is available at

http://www.ietf.org/iesg/implementation/report-rfc5343-5590-5591-5953.txt

Personnel

    Dan Romascanu is the responsible Area Director.
_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce