Subject: [Isms] Protocol Action: 'Transport Layer Security (TLS) Transport Model for the Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP)' to Draft Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 Jun 2011 14:47:23 -0700 (PDT)

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'Transport Layer Security (TLS) Transport Model for the Simple Network
   Management Protocol (SNMP) '
  RFC 5953 as a Draft Standard

This document is the product of the Integrated Security Model for SNMP
Working Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Sean Turner and Stephen Farrell.

A URL of this RFC is:
http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc5953.txt

Technical Summary

   RFC 5953 describes a Transport Model for the Simple Network
   Management Protocol (SNMP), that uses either the Transport Layer
   Security protocol or the Datagram Transport Layer Security (DTLS)
   protocol.

Working Group Summary

   Only two issues were raised during the 1st IETF LC: 1) references
   to RFC 1033 need to be replaced with references to RFC 1123; and,
   2) references to RFC 3490 need to be updated to RFC 5890.  The
   second also required some textual changes, but in the changes
   would not force this document to recycle.

Document Quality

   An implementations report can be found at:
  
http://www.ietf.org/iesg/implementation/report-rfc5343-5590-5591-5953.txt

Personnel

   Juergen Schoenwaelder is the Shepherd.
   Sean Turner in the responsible AD.

RFC Editor Note

  Please note the original "plan" was to progress RFC 5953 from
  PS to DS as is.  During IETF LC there were two changes that were
  identified, so that plan is out the window.  Please incorporate
  the following in to the published version:

1) Please ensure the published RFC indicates that it obsoletes 5953:

  Obsoletes: 5953

2) Section 7: Change the top of the MIB's LAST-UPDATED clause:

   OLD:
        LAST-UPDATED "201005070000Z"

   NEW:
        LAST-UPDATED "201105260000Z"

3) Section 7: Change the MIB's copyright date:

   OLD:
         Copyright (c) 2010 IETF Trust and the persons identified as
         the document authors.  All rights reserved.

   NEW:
         Copyright (c) 2010-2011 IETF Trust and the persons identified
         as the document authors.  All rights reserved.
 
4) Section 7: Add a new REVISION clause *ABOVE* the previous one

   OLD:
        REVISION     "201005070000Z"
        DESCRIPTION  "This version of this MIB module is part of
                      RFC 5953; see the RFC itself for full legal
                      notices."

   NEW:
        REVISION     "201105260000Z"
        DESCRIPTION  "This version of this MIB module is part of
                      RFC XXXX; see the RFC itself for full legal
                      notices.  The only change was to introduce
                      new wording to reflect require changes for
                      IDNA addresses in the SnmpTLSAddress TC."

        REVISION     "201005070000Z"
        DESCRIPTION  "This version of this MIB module is part of
                      RFC 5953; see the RFC itself for full legal
                      notices."

** Note replace XXXX with the appropriate RFC #.

5) Section 7

  OLD:

  A hostname is always in US-ASCII (as per [RFC1033]);
  internationalized hostnames are encoded in US-ASCII as domain
  names after transformation via the ToASCII operation specified
  in [RFC3490].  The ToASCII operation MUST be performed with the
  UseSTD3ASCIIRules flag set.  The hostname is followed by a
  colon ':' (US-ASCII character 0x3A) and a decimal port number
  in US-ASCII.  The name SHOULD be fully qualified whenever
  possible.

  NEW:

  A hostname is always in US-ASCII (as per [RFC1123]);
  internationalized hostnames are encoded as A-labels as specified
  in [RFC5890].  The hostname is followed by a
  colon ':' (US-ASCII character 0x3A) and a decimal port number
  in US-ASCII.  The name SHOULD be fully qualified whenever
  possible.

6) Section 7

OLD:

  REFERENCE
    "RFC 1033: DOMAIN ADMINISTRATORS OPERATIONS GUIDE
     RFC 3490: Internationalizing Domain Names in Applications
     RFC 5952: A Recommendation for IPv6 Address Text Representation
    "

NEW:

  REFERENCE
    "RFC 1123: Requirements for Internet Hosts - Application and Support
     RFC 5890: Internationalized Domain Names for Applications (IDNA):
               Definitions and Document Framework
     RFC 5952: A Recommendation for IPv6 Address Text Representation
    "

7) Section 12

  Add RFC 5953 as an informative reference.

  Replace references to RFC 1033 and RFC 3490 with references
  to RFC 1123 and RFC 5890, respectively.

  Move RFC 5890 to the informative references.

8) Incorporate the following errata:

8a) Section A.1

  OLD

    snmpTargetParamsRowStatus = 4 (createAndGo0

  NEW:

    snmpTargetParamsRowStatus = 4 (createAndGo)

8b) Section A.1

  OLD:

    snmpTargetAddrColumnStatus = 4 (createAndGo)

  NEW:

    snmpTargetAddrRowStatus    = 4 (createAndGo)

9) Add the following new section to highlight these changes:

  1.2 Changes Since RFC 5953

    This document obsoletes [RFC5953].

    Since the publication of RFC 5953, a few editorial errata have
    been noted.  These errata are posted on the RFC Editor web site.
    These errors have been corrected in this document.

    This document updates the references to RFC 3490 (IDNA 2003) to
    to RFC 5890 (IDNA 2008), because RFC 3490 was obsoleted by RFC
    5890.

    References to RFC 1033 were replaced with references to RFC 1123.

    Added informative reference to 5953.

    Updated MIB dates and revision date.