Subject: Re: [Isms] Last Call: Progressing RFCs 5343, 5590, 5591, and 6353 to Internet Standard

From: Jeffrey Hutzelman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 04 Jan 2014 13:28:49 -0500

On Fri, 2014-01-03 at 11:14 -0800, The IESG wrote:
> The IESG has received a request from an individual participant to make
> the following status changes:
> 
> - RFC5343 from Draft Standard to Internet Standard
>     (Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP) Context EngineID
> Discovery)
> 
> - RFC5590 from Draft Standard to Internet Standard
>     (Transport Subsystem for the Simple Network Management Protocol
> (SNMP))
> 
> - RFC6353 from Draft Standard to Internet Standard
>     (Transport Layer Security (TLS) Transport Model for the Simple
> Network Management Protocol (SNMP))
> 
> - RFC5591 from Draft Standard to Internet Standard
>     (Transport Security Model for the Simple Network Management Protocol
> (SNMP))

Wait, we're advancing TLSTM but not SSHTM ?

---

From: Juergen Schoenwaelder <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 4 Jan 2014 21:27:13 +0100

> Wait, we're advancing TLSTM but not SSHTM ?

Yes. These documents are all Draft Standards. The SSHTM is at Proposed
Standard. There was no interoperability testing done of the SSHTM when
the RFCs listed above were advanved to Draft Standards because we did
not have enough implementations.

The procedural step to move these Draft Standards to Standards in the
new 2-level standards process I believe is very different from the
procedural step needed to move SSHTM to Standard. If there are
sufficient SSHTM implementations to do interop testing, fine. But I
think this would be a separate activity.

/js

-- 
Juergen Schoenwaelder           Jacobs University Bremen gGmbH
Phone: +49 421 200 3587         Campus Ring 1, 28759 Bremen, Germany
Fax:   +49 421 200 3103         <http://www.jacobs-university.de/>