Subject: [its] Mountain View, CA USDoT V2X mesh network event

From: Alison Chaiken <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2012 00:53:35 -0700

The impending Automotive Network
Christie Dudley <[email-masked]> Jul 03 12:49AM -0700

What: Security and Privacy of the connected vehicle network
Where: Hacker Dojo, hackerdojo.com
When: 7:00PM July 17

Those of you who know me know that although I have been involved in infosec
in the past, I'm currently a law student at SCU. However, that does not
appear to be stopping me.

One of my professors has given me a nifty little assignment. Unfortunately,
it is not just an exercise. It is for the DOT and they are relying on my
assessment.

I am to analyze the new mesh network standard that the DOT is considering
for a mandated new security feature. Since mesh networks are not exactly
like seat belts, there are a lot of privacy and security concerns that
could arise from this. See http://www.its.*dot.gov*
/connected_vehicle/connected_vehicle_research.htm<http://www.its.dot.gov/connected_vehicle/connected_vehicle_research.htm>
for
more information and background.

Although I am somewhat limited by NDA, there is quite a lot of information
available on the network that has been already made public. I plan to get
people together at Hacker Dojo under the auspices of DC650 to have a little
powow about what it is, how it works and what we need to make them fix.
This is a unique opportunity to make a difference in the future.

I realize this is fairly unusual to toss this sort of request out to the
community, but this could cost us all if I get it wrong and I am only glad
I have the opportunity to get the kind of people who could give meaningful
opinions involved. My professor has tried to reach out to community in the
past, but the level and type of people she engaged were not interested in
the problem.

I hope anyone who's interested can join me at 7PM on July 18 at Hacker Dojo.

Sincerely,
Christie Dudley
_______
"Privacy is not a discrete commodity, possessed absolutely or not at all."
Justice Marshall, Smith v. Maryland dissent

---

From: "Ivancic, William D. (GRC-RHN0)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2012 07:46:55 -0500

Alison,

Is there WebEx or other remote meeting tool being used  or other remote access (teleconference) ?

If not, you might consider such and you will likely get far greater participation.

Take a look at the list participants.  They are from all over the World.  It would behove you to pick a time that at least includes the Europeans as they are quite active in this area.

https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/its

The legal ramifications or hacking a vehicle may inhibit deployment.

- Will Ivancic

On Jul 13, 2012, at 3:53 AM, Alison Chaiken wrote:

The impending Automotive Network
Christie Dudley <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>> Jul 03 12:49AM -0700

What: Security and Privacy of the connected vehicle network
Where: Hacker Dojo, hackerdojo.com<http://hackerdojo.com>
When: 7:00PM July 17

Sincerely,
Christie Dudley
_______
"Privacy is not a discrete commodity, possessed absolutely or not at all."
Justice Marshall, Smith v. Maryland dissent
_______________________________________________
its mailing list
[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/its

******************************
William D. Ivancic
Phone 216-433-3494
Fax 216-433-8705
Networking Lab 216-433-2620
Mobile 440-503-4892
http://roland.grc.nasa.gov/~ivancic

---

From: "Ivancic, William D. (GRC-RHN0)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2012 08:44:18 -0500

Alison,

Do you have any links of the name of the specification of the mesh network standard DOT is considering.  I could not find it in the  provided links.

Thanks,

- Will Ivancic

---

From: Alison Chaiken <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2012 08:04:39 -0700

I am not running the meeting described in the previous message and can
answer no questions about it, technical or logistical.    Please send
them to the organizer, Christie Dudley, [email-masked]

-- 
Alison Chaiken                           [email-masked]
650-279-5600                            http://{she-devel.com,
exerciseforthereader.org}
"Each success only buys an admission ticket to a more difficult
problem." -- Henry Kissinger

---

From: "Ivancic, William D. (GRC-RHN0)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2012 10:47:33 -0500

Christine,

Also, do you have any links of the name of the specification of the mesh network standard DOT is considering.  I could not find it in the  provided links.

- Will Ivancic

Sincerely,
Christie Dudley
_______