Subject: Re: [its] "Addressing the hard problems of automotive Linux: networking and IPC" talk slides

From: Alison Chaiken <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2013 17:58:56 -0800

Alexandru Petrescu <[email-masked]> asks:
>  I am told AUTOSAR also discusses address auto-configuration for
> in-vehicle?  And OBD/Ethernet?  And in your slide I see AUTOSAR ECU
> protocol?  What is ECU protocol?

AUTOSAR is a design methodology and interface specification for
vehicles; see also OSEK.   Most ECUs talk on CAN, but of course CAN
has more than one version, and is itself only a Link Layer protocol,
with lots of different stacks available above.      Look up the
Imamoter work or the Renesas app note I mention in the slides for more
info.

> CAN-Ethernet demo seems to be interesting.
> AF_BUS - a new family of protocols, akin to AF_UNIX.
>
> Do you think the Draft Charter proposal I sent earlier in the 'its'
> email list covers these concepts?

CAN and AF_BUS are for vehicle intranets, while ITS group is mostly
concerned with intervehicle networks, isn't it?   Or would you like to
cover intranets as well?   The whole question of how to use sockets in
a scalable pub-sub context within vehicles is rife with controversy at
the moment.

> (and I learn from your slides that there exists IEEE 1609.3 WSMP ok,
> which I guess is like FNTP mentioned by Hans-Joachim at ISO).

I haven't had a chance to read up on FNTP yet, but since IEEE is an
international body, I presume that EU implementations of V2V safety
messages will be compliant.

-- 
Alison Chaiken                           [email-masked]
650-279-5600                            http://{she-devel.com,
exerciseforthereader.org}
Access is more important than ownership.   -- Joe Gebbia, AirBnB