Subject: Re: [its] does MANET or ITS scope extend to EV charging stations

From: Alison Chaiken <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2013 14:46:11 -0700

In addition to compromised cars being used as attack vectors, drivers may
also be concerned about compromised charging stations attached to their CAN
bus in order to monitor state-of-charge, battery temperature, etc.   The
possibilities for harm go well past credit card fraud since extremely
expensive property attached to high voltages and flammable batteries are
involved.   No reason to be alarmist, but especially given minimal
layperson understanding of charging circuits, a lot of caution seems
advisable.

On the plus side, I suppose cars can transfer other desired content while
plugged in: download map updates, upload maintenance-related statistics,
etc.

---

From: Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2013 20:15:09 -0400

>>>>> "Alison" == Alison Chaiken <[email-masked]> writes:
    Alison> In addition to compromised cars being used as attack
    Alison> vectors, drivers may 
    Alison> also be concerned about compromised charging stations
    Alison> attached to their CAN 
    Alison> bus in order to monitor state-of-charge, battery
    Alison> temperature, etc.   The 

Wow... I didn't know that the CAN buses were directly bridged!!!
Is there a specification for the charging cable that is publically
available?  (What is it called?)

-- 
]               Never tell me the odds!                 | ipv6 mesh networks [ 
]   Michael Richardson, Sandelman Software Works        | network architect  [ 
]     [email-masked]  http://www.sandelman.ca/        |   ruby on rails    [

---

From: Alexandru Petrescu <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2013 14:21:04 +0200

> Wow... I didn't know that the CAN buses were directly bridged!!!

It is common practice to have in-vehicle IP-enabled devices which 
connect straight to the CAN.

I don't know whether that is 'bridged' or 'routed'.  Or whether that 
connects to the charging station or not.

> available?  (What is it called?)

Well, as opposed to the maturity of single-diameter gas recharging tube,
the electrical cables for recharging are in their infancy - several
standards for cables exist, mainly driven by particular manufacturer needs.

I've seen such documents at ISO (private) and CEN. I can only guess SAE
has some as well.

For recharging purposes, there may exist other means to recharge as well
- not only wire. As with smartphones, one may charge her car
contact-less. With these also there may be other risks when IP is used
over them.

Alex

>
>
> _______________________________________________
> its mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/its
>