Subject: [its] novel use case for intra-vehicular wireless

From: Alison Chaiken <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 28 Apr 2013 10:40:29 -0700

Slide 9 of this set from Elo Touch Solutions shows an "Automotive
Interior Touchscape":

http://ewh.ieee.org/r6/scv/ce/meetings/Elo%20for%20Automotive%20APR%202013.pdf

The presenter believes, with good reason, that today's large
console-mounted touch panels will disaggregate into many soft buttons
used for applications like back-seat media control.    He said that
such tiny dispersed touch panels may operate via Zigbee, although I
guess they could be active RFID as well.    The idea that cars will
have far fewer cables and wires and more wireless is pretty
fascinating.     That may save on assembly costs although the question
of battery-powering so many small devices is worrisome.    Perhaps
energy harvesting is a real solution for vehicles?

Anyhow, I don't mean to drag the group off-topic, but the concept of
the wireless control of media playing is generally intriguing.    I'm
convinced that in some developing nations, the car will be the main
"PC" for the household, the source of email, music, movie streaming
for the whole house when parked.    Residents of such nations will
need cars, and even low-end cars will start to include these features.
  There has been a presumption that cellular handsets are the
developing world PCs, but that strikes me as unclear.    If the car
becomes the media center, then you might want to control the music
playing from your vehicle from another room by using IPV6 to address
the car's functions directly.

-- 
Alison Chaiken                           [email-masked]
650-279-5600                            http://{she-devel.com,
exerciseforthereader.org}
The intermediary between the head and the hands must be the heart.
-- Thea von Harbou