Subject: [its] Article + TED talk

From: Emmanuel Baccelli <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2013 12:25:58 +0200

Hi guys,

I don't know how technically relevant these are, but I stumbled on an
article and a TED talk that advocate for car-to-car communications and ITS.
So I thought I'd just share them, just in case there might be something
relevant/useful for someone here.

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9241037/Feds_want_cars_to_talk_to_each_other
http://www.ted.com/talks/jennifer_healey_if_cars_could_talk_accidents_might_be_avoidable.html

Best,

Emmanuel

---

From: Alexandru Petrescu <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2013 15:31:56 +0200

Emmanuel,

Allow me to rant on this.

These and other[*] pointers are good illustrations about how intriguing
visions of car-to-car communications could be developped.  The TED
presentation is particular in that it uses drama tools to sell car-talk
technology.

In general, the vehicular industry players are excellent dream makers
since some time now: the car itself is such.  Add this or that option
and it's so much better.

I personally look at them in some detail, actively searching for one
particular facet of such vision: do they mention the challenges of _IP_
communications from vehicle to vehicle?

Because some if not all V2V visions getting front stage seem to focus
on matters other than IP: radar/lidar-based echo detection of nearby
vehicles and pedestrians, fast and rough form recognition, broadcasting
tourism information.  As stimulating as they may appear, they may have
little to do with IP - some demonstrated prototypes not doing IP.

When someone says 'V2V' I feel the urge to ask some questions:

Is it V-to-LTE-BaseStation-to-HA-and-back-to-V?  Is it
V-to-ITSStation-to-V?  Or is it direct V-to-V without any fixed
infrastructure in between?

Is it radio beam echoed back by a solid? (aka 'radar')

Velocity transmitted from one V to another is how? kmph or mph?
transmitted as value or detected by radars?  as a sequence of positions
with time measured at destination? Is it localization data as WGS84 or
as ED50 (or otherwise how to automate the promotion of 802.11p over
800MHz-LTE near old military camps)?

IF these V-to-V data transmitted are actually IP packets, what are src
and dst addresses?  How do vehicles 'discover' each other?  Where do
they get their addresses from?

LED headlights avoid blinding the incoming driver, but are they LiFi and
IP-over-LiFi?

Because, some of the visions may bear little ressemblance to what may
get deployed - they may be too high level.  Even on this email list, we
have seen statements about visions, and counter statements about some
visions being just dreams.

Alex
[*] The Economist ran recently an entire Quarterly about the Future of
the Car "Clean, safe and it drives itself", and an article on
"Driverless Automobiles" (imagine _that_ w/o communication - a nightmare).

Le 25/07/2013 12:25, Emmanuel Baccelli a écrit :
> Hi guys,
>
> I don't know how technically relevant these are, but I stumbled on
> an article and a TED talk that advocate for car-to-car
> communications and ITS. So I thought I'd just share them, just in
> case there might be something relevant/useful for someone here.
>
>
> Best,
>
> Emmanuel
>
>
> _______________________________________________ its mailing list
> [email-masked] https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/its
>

---

From: Emmanuel Baccelli <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2013 15:54:43 +0200

Hi Alexandru,
rant permission granted. These links where not pointing to any technically
interesting content as far as *we* are concerned. But we can still use this
content to say something like: "if you're motivated by such high level
perspectives (as depicted in TED Talk, article, you-name-it), then you
should let us do it with IP, because other solutions will suck fast".
Best
Emmanuel

On Thu, Jul 25, 2013 at 3:32 PM, Alexandru Petrescu <
[email-masked]> wrote:

> Is it V-to-LTE-BaseStation-to-HA-**and-back-to-V?  Is it
>> http://www.computerworld.com/**s/article/9241037/Feds_want_**
>> cars_to_talk_to_each_other<http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9241037/Feds_want_cars_to_talk_to_each_other>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>  http://www.ted.com/talks/**jennifer_healey_if_cars_could_**
> talk_accidents_might_be_**avoidable.html<http://www.ted.com/talks/jennifer_healey_if_cars_could_talk_accidents_might_be_avoidable.html>
>
>>
>> Best,
>>
>> Emmanuel
>>
>>
>> ______________________________**_________________ its mailing list
>> [email-masked] https://www.ietf.org/mailman/**listinfo/its<https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/its>
>>
>>
>
> ______________________________**_________________
> its mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/**listinfo/its<https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/its>
>