Subject: Re: [geonet/its] terminology (was: Attempt to provide unified view of email discussions)

From: Alexandru Petrescu <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 06 Jan 2014 10:24:19 +0100

Le 23/12/2013 05:42, Alison Chaiken a écrit :
> http://etherpad.tools.ietf.org:9000/p/geonet-charter
>
> Still a work in progress, obviously.    Please amend the contents if
> you think the venue is a useful one for discussion.
>
> I started to make a unified Terminology based on contributions from
> Georgios, Thierry. Dick, Knut, Brad, Alex and John.    To the extent
> that FCC, ETSI, ISO and IEEE definitions are compatible, we should
> try to base any new definitions on them, and not change the meanings
> of the terms they use.
>

Alison,

Thanks for the update.

I think the terminology section at that URL is a good start.

Some terms are subject to debate.  For example, what does this mean?
"Communications zone. The service area associated with an individual
  fixed Roadside Unit (RSU). The communications zone is determined based
  on the RSU equipment class specified in section 90.375."

Is it something like the range of an RSU? For example, if it used WiFi
then the range would be half a sphere of radius 50meter.

And -
"Control station. An Operational Fixed Station, the transmissions of
  which are used to control automatically the emissions or operation of
  another radio station at a specified location."
- this is a new concept to me, I dont see how it would materialize?  Is
it something like a 'management Server' which pushes configuration data
to a radio station with maybe SNMP/OpenFlow?

On another hand, there may be a need of a term similar to RSU, but which
is not related to vehicles.  Some fixed station that is attached to a
particular geographical area populated by entities which are not
vehicles (maybe a hangar of goods, for goods tracking).

Alex