Subject: [geonet/its] updated text of Charter

From: Alexandru Petrescu <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2014 21:30:29 +0100

Hi,

I have received remarks about the Charter.  I have then modified it to 
take them into account.

The latest version is at this URL and pasted below.

https://github.com/MelindaShore/geonet/blob/master/charterproposal.txt

What do you think?

Alex

--------------------------------------------------------------
                         GeoNet BoF at IETF
                          Charter Proposal
                          January 23rd, 2014
            https://github.com/MelindaShore/geonet/wiki

Internet-Wide GeoNetworking (GeoNet)
------------------------------------
Current Status: BoF

Chairs:
   Melinda Shore
   Alexandru Petrescu

Assigned Area Director:
   Ted Lemon

Mailing list
   Address: [email-masked]
   To Subscribe: https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/its
   Archive:
   http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/its/current/maillist.html

Additional web page:
   https://github.com/MelindaShore/geonet/wiki
   or the older http://www.lara.prd.fr/ietf-its

Charter Proposal

The group is concerned with Internet-wide geonetworking.

IP routing and addressing are completely unaware of geography.
Mechanisms and IETF protocols are needed for authorized source nodes
anywhere in the Internet to disseminate packets to other nodes in
areas described by geographic parameters, while respecting the privacy
concerns of sender and receiver. Parameters such as geographical
coordinates and other geo-locators such as civic addresses should be
usable in order to specify the destination of the dissemination.

The new dissemination mechanism can not be used to identify the
geographical situation of computers issuing requests to resources, nor
to prevent access based on such supposed identification.

The initial objectives of the group are focused in particular on a
common vocabulary for contexts using IP protocols and geography
coordinates, on a data definition of geolocators, and on defining a
bi-directional relationship - not a mechanism - between geo-spatial
locators and IP locators.

In general, for a complete solution, mechanisms and protocol solutions
are needed for the items below:

.. for the accurate representation of geographic areas using (1)
   geolocators such as names and (2) physical geographic coordinates.

.. to ensure that geographical area information (for example,
   geolocators, names, and physical geographic coordinates) is
   accurately mapped to an IP address. Mapping data bases can be
   maintained at the source nodes, intermediate or edge nodes, and at
   specific IP locator nodes.

.. to ensure that an IP address can be accurately mapped to a
   geographic area information (geo-locators, names, and geographic
   physical coordinates). Note that this refers to the addresses of
   access routers, roadside units (RSUs), and so on, and not end nodes.
   Mapping data bases can be maintained at the source nodes,
   intermediate or edge nodes, and at specific IP locator nodes.

.. to ensure that data packets generated by source nodes placed
   arbitrarily in the Internet can be forwarded over multiple hops by
   using, where possible, geographic physical coordinates of (1) the
   destination node(s) and/or (2) the intermediate nodes for the
   routing decisions, instead of using their IP addresses. Note that
   in order to solve the above challenge it is NOT mandated that all
   nodes located on the path from source to destination nodes are able
   to forward packets using the geo-coordinates of (1) the destination
   node(s) and/or (2) the intermediate nodes for the routing
   decisions. This is emphasized by using the words "where possible".

The main use-cases are:
o dissemination to a geographical area
o goods tracking
o vehicular traffic safety, efficiency, management and infotainment
o mobile road-side unit
o identification of originating area
o geolocation of instrumented ambulance

Protocol work would begin after completion of the work items listed
below, and upon rechartering.

Work Items
----------
o Problem Statement I-D (INFORMATIONAL)
o GeoNet Terminology I-D (INFORMATIONAL)
o Data Description of Geospatial Locators I-D (INFORMATIONAL)
o GeoNet Framework (INFORMATIONAL)
o Mapping Between IP Locators and Geospatial Locators (INFORMATIONAL)

Milestones:
   Jul 2014 -

   Oct 2014 -

   Mar 2015 -

---
Ce courrier électronique ne contient aucun virus ou logiciel malveillant parce que la protection avast! Antivirus est active.
http://www.avast.com