Subject: [geonet/its] proposal of Charter, during the BoF request submission

From: Alexandru Petrescu <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2014 17:16:52 +0100

Hello,

During the BoF request process we drafted a small proposal of Charter. 
It is maintained at
https://github.com/MelindaShore/geonet/blob/master/charterproposal.txt

and the current version pasted below.

Please comment on this Charter proposal.

Yours,

Alex

----------------------------------------------------------------------
               GeoNet BoF at IETF
                Charter Proposal
               January 17th, 2014
          http://ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/its

Internet-Wide GeoNetworking (GeoNet)
------------------------------------
Current Status: BoF

Chairs:
   Melinda Shore
   Alexandru Petrescu

Assigned Area Director:
   Ted Lemon

Mailing list
   Address: [email-masked]
   To Subscribe: https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/its
   Archive:
   http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/its/current/maillist.html

Additional web page, old
   http://www.lara.prd.fr/ietf-its

Charter Proposal

The group is concerned with Internet-wide geonetworking.

IP routing and addressing are completely unaware of
geography. Mechanisms and IETF protocols are needed for
authorized source nodes anywhere in the Internet to
disseminate packets to other nodes in areas described by
geographic parameters, while respecting the privacy concerns
of sender and receiver. Parameters such as geographical
coordinates and other geo-locators such as civic addresses
should be usable.

In particular, mechanisms and protocol solutions are needed:

. for the accurate representation of geographic areas using
   (1) geolocators such as names and (2) physical geographic
   coordinates.

. to ensure that geographical area information (for example,
   geolocators, names, and physical geographic coordinates)
   is accurately mapped to an IP address. Mapping data bases
   can be maintained at the source nodes, intermediate or
   edge nodes, and at specific IP locator nodes.

. to ensure that an IP address can be accurately mapped to a
   geographic area information (geo-locators, names, and
   geographic physical coordinates). Note that this refers
   to the addresses of access routers, roadside units (RSUs),
   and so on, and not end nodes. Mapping data bases can be
   maintained at the source nodes, intermediate or edge
   nodes, and at specific IP locator nodes.

. to ensure that data packets generated by source nodes
   placed arbitrarily in the Internet can be forwarded over
   multiple hops by using, where possible, geographic
   physical coordinates of (1) the destination node(s) and/or
   (2) the intermediate nodes for the routing decisions,
   instead of using their IP addresses. Note that in order
   to solve the above challenge it is NOT mandated that all
   nodes located on the path from source to destination nodes
   are able to forward packets using the geo-coordinates of
   (1) the destination node(s) and/or (2) the intermediate
   nodes for the routing decisions. This is emphasized by
   using the words "where possible".

The main use-cases are:
o dissemination to a geographical area
o goods tracking
o vehicular traffic safety, efficiency, management and infotainment
o mobile road-side unit
o identification of originating area
o geolocation of instrumented ambulance

Protocol work would begin after completion of these work items listed
below, and upon rechartering.

Work Items
----------
o Problem Statement I-D (INFORMATIONAL)
o GeoNet Terminology I-D (INFORMATIONAL)
o Description of Geospatial Locators I-D (INFORMATIONAL)
o GeoNet Framework (INFORMATIONAL)
o Mapping Between IP Locators and Geospatial Locators (INFORMATIONAL)

Milestones:
   Jul 2014 -

   Oct 2014 -

   Mar 2015 -