Subject: [its] trust goals between moving networks untenable?

From: Alexandre Petrescu <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2016 19:12:56 -0300

ITSers,

On the jabber, someone said:
>  <mcr> mic: This goals in this charter are too ambitious.  The trust 
> problem between moving networks is untenable today.  If we can assume 
> that there are useful certificates, then there is almost no technical 
> work to do. 

I think it's Michael Richardson?

If one thinks the goals around trust problem between moving networks are 
untenable today then I beg to differ.

I can tell for example that some SDO works on it.

Otherwise, technically speaking, I think that certificates could be used 
somehow without a CA permanently reachable.  E.g. when within LTE reach 
then verify with CA, otherwise just V2V informal proof with a number of 
pre-stored certificates.

Then, there may exist other means in cars (not typical elsewhere) to 
ensure identity.  For example many cars are equipped with cameras and 
image recognition software.  That's not as widespread in smartphones as 
it is in cars.  These cameras tell the numbers in license plates in 
front and behind.  The license plates are mandated by gov't .  Some 
databases of license plates are public. That should give enough 
reassurance about identity.

So one can come up easily with an authorization mechanism like AAA that 
is keyed by a license plate number, just like with a NAI (MAC address, 
user@domain,).

Maybe the license plate recognition is of privacy concern? what is 
needed is that what the computer thinks is the car in front is what the 
driver sees as the car in front.  That can be achieved by some form of 
human interaction with the dashboard.  That human pressing a button is 
like when one checks a box to get access to a public hotspot.  It's 
identification.

This is to say that once IP is there, many things can be tried to do 
trust between moving networks.  But if not, then not.

Alex