Subject: [Jmap] Spencer Dawkins' Yes on charter-ietf-jmap-00-04: (with COMMENT)

From: "Spencer Dawkins" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2017 06:19:53 -0800

Spencer Dawkins has entered the following ballot position for
charter-ietf-jmap-00-04: Yes

When responding, please keep the subject line intact and reply to all
email addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to cut this
introductory paragraph, however.)

The document, along with other ballot positions, can be found here:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/charter-ietf-jmap/

----------------------------------------------------------------------
COMMENT:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Just a couple of nits for your consideration.

I find the use of "mobile" as a noun to be unnatural in this text:

"These protocols are proliferating due
to existing standards being insufficient or poorly suited to the
environments they are operating in, particularly mobile and webmail."

Perhaps "mobile devices and webmail"?

If this paragraph:

"The JMAP working group will specify an mechanism to allow clients to
both view and send email from a server over a single stateless HTTPS
channel with minimal round trips. A single protocol for receipt and
submission will resolve long-standing difficulties users face
setting up clients to talk to servers. The use of multiple protocols
to perform actions within a single application creates significant
support challenges, as users may get a variety of partial failure modes
(for example, can receive email, but can not send new messages).
This is further exacerbated if the different protocols are
authenticated separately."

was rearranged so that it describes a problem and, in a separate
paragraph, says what the working group will do to resolve the problem,
that would be easier for me to parse.

I'm thinking of something like this:

"The use of multiple protocols
to perform actions within a single application creates significant
support challenges, as users may get a variety of partial failure modes
(for example, can receive email, but can not send new messages).
This is further exacerbated if the different protocols are
authenticated separately.

The JMAP working group will specify an mechanism to allow clients to
both view and send email from a server over a single stateless HTTPS
channel with minimal round trips. A single protocol for receipt and
submission will resolve long-standing difficulties users face
setting up clients to talk to servers."

---

From: Alexey Melnikov <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2017 14:24:05 +0000

Hi Spencer,

Sounds good to me.