Subject: [Jmap] S/MIME for JMAP

From: vaibhav singh <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2017 01:53:22 +0530

Hi,

I was catching up on the recording of JMAP's meeting for IETF99, and
this seems really fascinating to me. I have one straight question
though; how is S/MIME going to be supported for JMAP? The JMAP mail
spec seems to be silent on this, and maybe the spec needn't concern
itself with S/MIME, but I would still like to get your views on S/MIME
over JMAP, and the potential issues which could come up with trying to
integrate S/MIME with JMAP.

Thanking you,
Vaibhav Singh

---

From: Neil Jenkins <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 07 Aug 2017 18:05:12 +1000

On Wed, 2 Aug 2017, at 06:23 AM, vaibhav singh wrote:
>  I have one straight question though; how is S/MIME going to be
>  supported for JMAP?
A client can fetch the raw RFC5322 message to decrypt and/or verify
S/MIME; this is really the only option if the client has the
private keys.
If the private keys are on the server (some corporate systems
sign/verify at the gateway) the server can transparently decrypt
and could add a keyword to say this message has been verified. This
is outside the scope of the JMAP spec itself though (any keyword(s)
you added to the IANA registry can be used in either IMAP or JMAP
of course).
Neil.

---

From: Alexey Melnikov <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Aug 2017 11:53:38 +0100

On 07/08/2017 09:05, Neil Jenkins wrote:

> S/MIME; this is really the only option if the client has the private keys.

Right.

> sign/verify at the gateway) the server can transparently decrypt and 
> could add a keyword to say this message has been verified. This is 
> outside the scope of the JMAP spec itself though (any keyword(s) you 
> added to the IANA registry can be used in either IMAP or JMAP of course).

There is a similar case of webmail which can access use keys on behalf 
of a user.

If people are interested in thinking about/experimenting with possible 
JMAP extensions for S/MIME for the latter case, please let me know.

Best Regards,
Alexey