Subject: Re: [Json] WG Review: JavaScript Object Notation (json)

From: SM <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 May 2013 01:22:28 -0700

At 08:50 17-05-2013, The IESG wrote:
>A new IETF working group has been proposed in the Applications Area. The
>IESG has not made any determination yet. The following draft charter was
>submitted, and is provided for informational purposes only. Please send
>your comments to the IESG mailing list (iesg at ietf.org) by 2013-05-27.

[snip]

>The resulting document will be jointly published as an RFC and by ECMA.
>ECMA participants will be participating in the working group editing
>through the normal process of working group participation.  The
>responsible
>AD will coordinate the approval process with ECMA so that the versions
>of the document that are approved by each body are the same.

In my opinion the argument for the restricted copyright in the IETF 
is to avoid divergence of a specification in future.  The proposed 
charter (see text above) is about creating two (I assume identical) 
versions of the JSON specification.  Which one will be the 
authoritative version?  Please note that I do not have a strong 
opinion about this.

Regards,
-sm

---

From: Barry Leiba <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 May 2013 08:59:48 -0400

> In my opinion the argument for the restricted copyright in the IETF is to
> avoid divergence of a specification in future.  The proposed charter (see
> text above) is about creating two (I assume identical) versions of the JSON
> specification.  Which one will be the authoritative version?  Please note
> that I do not have a strong opinion about this.

The 5378 rules allow anyone to republish IETF documents -- even
without our agreement, ECMA could republish an identical version (yes,
the intent is to have the version be identical, modulo organizational
boilerplate).  I've checked this with Jorge.

I hope we can avoid the issue of "which is authoritative" by having
the document say that it is being jointly published.  But it's
certainly true that if they should differ, for whatever reason, the
question will arise.

Barry