Subject: [Json] Profiles in the JSON media type

From: Mark Nottingham <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 22 Jun 2013 11:07:31 -0700

It'd be nice if a 'profile' parameter would be explicitly allowed on the JSON media type, so that people could identify conventions in use in the document format (e.g., a particular type of linking).

https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6906

Just a placeholder / reminder; no need to discuss immediately.

Cheers,

--
Mark Nottingham   http://www.mnot.net/

---

From: Tim Bray <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 22 Jun 2013 14:56:09 -0700

Hey Mark, what are the rules... if you want to use parameters on a
media-type, do you have to say so explicitly in the initial media-type
registration? -T

On Sat, Jun 22, 2013 at 11:07 AM, Mark Nottingham <[email-masked]> wrote:

> It'd be nice if a 'profile' parameter would be explicitly allowed on the
> JSON media type, so that people could identify conventions in use in the
> document format (e.g., a particular type of linking).
>
> _______________________________________________
> json mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/json
>

---

From: Erik Wilde <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 22 Jun 2013 15:41:53 -0700

> media-type, do you have to say so explicitly in the initial media-type

yes, that's the rule. at least that's my reading of 
http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4288#section-4.3, which says that "the 
names, values, and meanings of any parameters MUST be fully specified 
when a media type is registered in the standards tree, and SHOULD be 
specified as completely as possible when media types are registered in 
the vendor or personal trees."

for this reason, http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6906#section-3.1 says 
"For newly defined media types that may be used with profiles, it is 
therefore recommended that they SHOULD define a media type parameter 
called 'profile' and specify that this media type parameter follows the 
semantics of a profile as laid out in this document."

cheers,

dret.

-- 
erik wilde | mailto:[email-masked]  -  tel:+1-510-2061079 |
            | UC Berkeley  -  School of Information (ISchool) |
            | http://dret.net/netdret http://twitter.com/dret |

---

From: "Martin J. Dürst" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2013 15:10:53 +0900

> media-type, do you have to say so explicitly in the initial media-type

They have to be explicitly described in the registration, but it's 
possible to add parameters when updating a registration. There was such 
a discussion just recently on the relevant mailing list, please see 
http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/media-types.

Of course the interoperability concerns with such additions should be 
considered carefully.

Regards,   Martin.

---

From: Erik Wilde <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2013 15:59:57 -0700

hello martin.

> Of course the interoperability concerns with such additions should be

that of course is very true. however, in the case of profiles, you can 
look at them as "hints" which are not allowed to change the semantics of 
the basic media type. so i would assume that if the profile parameter is 
ignored, no harm is being done. but then again, components could also 
start throwing errors because of an unknown parameter showing up, and i 
guess that problem simply cannot be avoided.

fyi: http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-wilde-atom-profile-01 is a draft 
for re-registering the atom media type with the exact same goal of 
adding a profile media type parameter.

cheers,

dret.