Subject: [Json] Protocol Action: 'JavaScript Object Notation (JSON) Text Sequences' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-json-text-sequence-13.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 08 Jan 2015 08:14:57 -0800

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'JavaScript Object Notation (JSON) Text Sequences'
  (draft-ietf-json-text-sequence-13.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the JavaScript Object Notation Working
Group.

The IESG contact persons are Pete Resnick and Barry Leiba.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-json-text-sequence/

Technical Summary

   This document describes the JSON text sequence format. A JSON text
   sequence is specifically not a JSON text itself, but it is composed
   of (possible) JSON texts.  JSON text sequences can be parsed (and
   produced) incrementally without having to have a streaming parser
   (nor streaming encoder). This allows easy coding of extremely large
   datasets, logs, and so on. Because it is a format, it is appropriate
   for standards track.

Working Group Summary

   The WG had some problems with early drafts of the document, but came
   to rough consensus at the end. There was disagreement about what
   character(s) should be used to delimit text sequences, but there was
   fairly extensive discussion and most of the participants agreed that
   the sequence chosen in the latest draft is the best of the
   alternatives discussed.

Document Quality

   There was not a huge amount of interest in the format in the WG, but
   there was definite interest from some users of JSON, particularly
   those who want to write out JSON texts in logs.

Personnel

   Paul Hoffman (co-chair of the JSON WG) is the document shepherd
   Pete Resnick is the responsible Area Director.