Subject: [Json] [Errata Rejected] RFC7159 (4220)

From: RFC Errata System <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 1 Mar 2015 03:17:08 -0800 (PST)

The following errata report has been rejected for RFC7159,
"The JavaScript Object Notation (JSON) Data Interchange Format".

--------------------------------------
You may review the report below and at:
http://www.rfc-editor.org/errata_search.php?rfc=7159&eid=4220

--------------------------------------
Status: Rejected
Type: Technical

Reported by: mirabilos <[email-masked]>
Date Reported: 2015-01-05
Rejected by: Barry Leiba (IESG)

Section: 7

Original Text
-------------
   […] All Unicode characters may be placed within the
   quotation marks, except for the characters that must be escaped:
   quotation mark, reverse solidus, and the control characters (U+0000
   through U+001F).

[…]

      unescaped = %x20-21 / %x23-5B / %x5D-10FFFF

Corrected Text
--------------
   […] All Unicode characters may be placed within the
   quotation marks, except for the characters that must be escaped:
   quotation mark, reverse solidus, the control characters (U+0000
   through U+001F), and codepoints beyond the BMP (U-00010000
   through U-0010FFFF).

[…]

      unescaped = %x20-21 / %x23-5B / %x5D-FFFF

Notes
-----
ECMA-262 states that "ECMAScript source text is assumed to be a sequence
of 16-bit code units", and everything must be converted to UTF-16 first.
This stems from the fact that Java™, like Win32, used UCS-2, which only
later got extended to allow UTF-16. This means that SMP codepoints must
always be escaped into their twelve-character form.

This is also an interoperability issue: implementations may wish to parse
(or generate) JSON by using a wchar_t data type (in C) which, depending on
the platform, may be only 16 bits wide. ECMAscript allows for this.
 --VERIFIER NOTES-- 
This is reporting a disagreement with a decision the working group made in the development of the document, and is not reporting an erratum.

--------------------------------------
RFC7159 (draft-ietf-json-rfc4627bis-rfc7159bis)
--------------------------------------
Title               : The JavaScript Object Notation (JSON) Data Interchange Format
Publication Date    : March 2014
Author(s)           : T. Bray, Ed.
Category            : PROPOSED STANDARD
Source              : JavaScript Object Notation
Area                : Applications
Stream              : IETF
Verifying Party     : IESG