Subject: [Ldap-dir] First RFC Publication - Seeking Review

From: Ryan Steele <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 2009 12:52:05 -0400

Lisa and Alexey,

My name is Ryan Steele, and I'm a systems administrator for AWeber Communications, Inc.  I'm contacting you because the
RFC Editor Tutorial (ftp://ftp.rfc-editor.org/in-notes/rfc-editor/tutorial.latest.pdf) suggested (Pg. 14) that I contact
the relevant AD for AD-sponsored RFC submissions, and based in the information I see at http://www.apps.ietf.org/node/3,
it seems to me as though the Applications Area is the proper venue for my sponsorship request (please correct me if I'm
wrong).  As such, I've contacted Lisa and Alexey regarding the aforementioned sponsorship.

As for the RFC, I recently have taken it upon myself, after getting the OpenLDAP Foundation's blessing, to create an RFC
for OpenLDAP regarding the syntaxes, matching rules, and attributetypes relating to the storage, assertions, and
comparisons of hexadecimal strings.

My Internet Draft 'draft-steele-ldap-hex-string-01.txt' is entitled 'Lightweight Directory Access Protocol (LDAP):
Hexadecimal String Syntaxes, Matching Rules, and Attributes,' and is approximately 9354 bytes.  The draft has been
manually emailed to [email-masked], as the web form submissions are currently broken (reported to rt.amsl.com
as ticket #18058), however I'm happy to provide a copy to each of you if you like.  Where categorization is concerned, I
would like the RFC to be in the 'Standards Track' category, because it seems like the optimal place for such a document,
and most other RFC's of the same ilk reside there.

I have had several discussions with the OpenLDAP Foundation's most senior members, including chief architect (and CTO of
Symas Corporation) Howard Chu, and release engineer (and principal software engineer at Zimbra) Quanah Gibson-Mount.  I
have also had the document reviewed personally by Howard prior to any submissions to or contact with the IETF/IESG, as
well as having sent it to the appropriate OpenLDAP mailing list.  However, as mentioned above, I'm more than happy to
provide a copy to you, the members of the LDAP Directorate, if you see it fit.

If there is any other action or information you need from me to help me to continue the process, please let me know and
I will do my very best to provide it.  Thank you!

Best Regards,
Ryan

-- 
Ryan Steele                                    [email-masked]
Systems Administrator                          +1 215-825-2196 x758
AWeber Communications                          http://www.aweber.com