Subject: Anonymous read only replicas

From: Zachary Amsden <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2000 19:59:22 -0700

Any plans to implement anonymous read-only replicas?

These would most likely be replicas that can't communicate
frequently, or have other real world constraints.

Proposed method of doing this would be:
assign reserved replica ID (-1?) for anonymous
servers keep no update vectors for anonymous replicas
connections are consumer initiated only
host security/anonymous replication allowed is server
configurable

An example (albeit poor) of this would be, say there is some
IETF host that stores RFC pages and drafts as LDAP records. 
Every interested party would need a replication agreement with
IETF to sync their private LDAP servers with this, which is
clearly unacceptable.

Partial update could be allowed if the update vector given by
the initiating party was recent enough that all changes were
known -- otherwise a total update would be required.

Total updates could be subject to administrative policy (i.e
only X sync/(month-host) could be allowed to prevent possible
DOS attacks.

Comments welcome...

Zach Amsden
[email-masked]

---

From: "Albert Langer" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2000 17:38:12 +1000

Isn't this fully covered by LCUP?

IV. Charter Addition for LCUP?

"LDAP Client Update Protocol"
   http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-natkovich-ldap-lcup-01.txt
   Editor(s): O. Natkovich, M. Smith, M. Armijo

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of Zachary Amsden
Sent: Friday, July 28, 2000 12:59 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Anonymous read only replicas

Comments welcome...

Zach Amsden
[email-masked]