Subject: Fwd: controlling visability of subentries

From: "Kurt D. Zeilenga" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 01 Aug 2000 09:41:32 -0400

Forwarded to LDUP list
>Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2000 16:23:57 -0400
>To: [email-masked]
>From: "Kurt D. Zeilenga" <[email-masked]>
>Subject: controlling visability of subentries
>
>One other issue I would like to raise in regards to LDAP subentry
>is the mechanism proposed to control their visibility.  I believe
>the approach of overloading the search filter to control visibility
>is not the best approach.  As we've found previously, the semantics
>of such overloads are difficult to define (and hence implement) when
>the filter is complex (which we must assume it will be).
>
>I believe that LDAPsubentry visibility should be control by a mechanism
>more closely modeled after the X.500 subentry visibility mechanism.
>In particular, I suggest use of a control.  The use of a control
>will allow a clear and concise specification of visibility semantics
>which facilitates implementation and use. 
>
>Comments?
>
>        Kurt

---

From: "Albert Langer" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2000 00:37:34 +1000

Agree

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of Kurt D. Zeilenga
Sent: Tuesday, August 01, 2000 11:42 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Fwd: controlling visability of subentries

Forwarded to LDUP list

---

From: [email-masked] (Mark C Smith)
Date: Tue, 01 Aug 2000 20:35:32 -0400

I also agree that it is probably better to define a control for this. 
Can we do so soon?

FYI, our implementation of draft-ietf-ldup-subentry-03.txt today checks
each equalityMatch filter component for objectclass=ldapSubEntry and
considers returning subentries if it finds one anywhere.  So all of
these filters may result in ldapSubEntries being returned:

(objectclass=ldapSubEntry)
(!(objectclass=ldapSubEntry))
(&(objectclass=ldapSubentry)(cn=foo))
(|(objectclass=ldapSubEntry)(objectclass=myReplicaSubEntry))

If we stick with the filter approach, we should at least add some
examples to the document.

-- 
Mark Smith
Directory Product Development / iPlanet E-Commerce Solutions
My words are my own, not my employer's.            Got LDAP?