Subject: draft-ietf-ldup-replica-req-04.txt - please publish

From: Ellen Stokes <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2000 09:03:51 -0500

Internet drafts editor,
Please publish the attached draft.  It is a revision of the replication 
requirements draft 03.

ldup-ers,
Please find attached the revised ldup requirements draft.

This draft has been reorganized for readability.  The requirements are
labeled by type (G=general, M=model, P=protocol, SC=schema, SM=single
master, MM=multi-master, AM=administration, S=security).  There are
also 2 appendices:  Appendix A contains replication usage scenarios to
substantiate and validate the requirements, and Appendix B provides
rationale and thinking behind the requirements and raises some issues
that should be considered during design.

This draft has also been modified to address the items raised in email
by Albert Langer.  We now present these items.

Four issues were raise with the requirements.  These are listed below with
references to the items in the requirements draft that address those 
requirements.

+ No requirement for convergence or "eventual consistency": [G1]

+ No requirement for atomic operations: [P6, discussion in Appendix B.5 
about places
where atomicity may be lost]

+ No requirement to support mandatory operational attributes of LDAP: 
[Appendix B.8]

+ Definition of "updateable replica" inconsistent with multi-master
replication: [Definition changed]

Issues were also raised in 8 areas.  These 8 areas are listed below with
references to the items in the requirements draft that address those areas.

1. "Atomicity and related concepts" - P6, Appendix B.5

2. "ModifiersName and other Operational Attributes" - M3, Appendix B.8

3. "Change Reports - ProtocolOps or Primitives" - This is a 
design/implementation
decision and therefore not addressed in the requirements.

4. "Eventual Convergence - Version numbers or timestamps" - Eventual 
Convergence
is addressed by MM5, MM6, G1, and definition of Eventual Consistency.  Version
number or timestamps is a design/implementation decision and therefore not
addressed in the requirements.

5. "Oscillation" - MM5, MM6, G1, and definition of Eventual Consistency

6. "Implementation and Performance Issues" - G3, G4, G5, G6

7. "Revocation notices". - Appendix B.5 covers the situation where they 
might be needed;
also MM5 and MM6

8. "Strong consistency and transactions" - G2 and P7

Please send your comments to the list ([email-masked]).  We will shortly 
propose that this draft
be submitted once again for workgroup last call.

Thanks.
Ellen