Subject: LCUP 03 - summary of changes and status

From: [email-masked] (Rich Megginson)
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2002 08:53:03 -0600

The other authors and I believe the document is ready for WG last call. 
 The following is a summary of changes between version 02 and 03.

Emphasized the use of UUIDs throughout the document.  Implementers are 
strongly encouraged to use UUIDs as a necessary component of the 
protocol.  It will be very difficult to implement support for modifyDN 
operations without the use of UUIDs.

Removed the LCUP Cancel extended operation in favor of the new LDAP 
Cancel operation [CANCEL].
[CANCEL]    K. Zeilenga, "LDAP Cancel Extended Operation",
      draft-zeilenga-ldap-cancel-xx.txt, a work in progress.

Got rid of the lcupSuccess result code.  All result codes will be added 
to the IANA LDAP result code registry as part of the LDAP standard.  
Also removed the result code and text from the client update done 
control value.

Changed any and all wording suggesting an LCUP Context is related to a 
naming context.  New text says an LCUP Context is a part of the DIT that 
supports LCUP, and that a server may have one or more LCUP Contexts.

Removed Old Section 4.2: lcupCookieScheme
We decided that LCUP did not need a discovery mechanism.  The controls 
and extended operations will be published in the root DSE as per the 
LDAP standards.

Changed references to "Unique Identifier" to either "Universally Unique 
Identifier" or "UUID".

Added this text to section 6 "Client Side Considerations":
"-    The client may receive a referral (Referral [RFC2251 SECTION 
4.1.11]) when the search base is a subordinate reference, and this will 
end the operation."

Added a note to section 6 "Client Side Considerations" about how to 
establish a baseline set of entries or entry cache.  The client should 
issue an LCUP search with the type synchronizeOnly, followed by a 
syncAndPersist search.

Added the field sendCookieInterval to the clientUpdate control value.

Added a note to section 6 "Client Side Considerations" explaining 
possible uses of the sendCookieInterval.