Subject: WG Charter Revision - Consensus Version

From: "Chris Apple" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2003 00:31:02 -0400

I have incorporated all comments on which consensus could be
determined. Largely, this means that if there was no affirmative
discussion related to a particular comment initiated by someone
other than the person creating the original posting containing
the comment, that comment was deemed not to represent the
consensus of the WG and was thus not reflected as a change
in the WG charter.

The period for introducing new comments related to changing
the working group description or presence (and wording)
of deliverables is now closed.

John and I will now accept comments of the following types:

	- typos and grammatical errors
	- administrative input such as "that date should be changed to
        this other date because of the following reason"
	- corrections or word choice to the changes reflected in the
        WG charter description or the deliverables list that appear
        to be in error as they were translated from mailing list
        discussion into this charter revision
      - any other administrative changes that do not involve a material
        change in the intent of the WG to pursue the path towards
        concluding our work on which we established prior consensus

Because I am posting this message around 12:30 AM, US ET on
April 9, 2003 instead of the originally intended April 8, 2003,
I am shifting the administrative review period and subsequent
submittal to the Applications Area Directors by one calendar
day.

This primarily administrative comment period will remain
open until 1700 ET, April 15, 2003. Please post any comments
of the types described above on or before that time.

On April 16, 2003, John and I will send a copy of the final
revised charter to the Applications Area Directors for
consideration for recommendation to the IESG for Approval.

I will acknowledge an intent to (or not to) incorporate each
comment posted during the administrative review period and
will Cc: the LDUP WG mailing list when submitting the final
version to the ADs.

Chris Apple - Principal Architect

DSI Consulting, Inc.

mailto:[email-masked]

http://www.dsi-consulting.com

----------------------------------------------------------------

LDAP Duplication/Replication/Update Protocols (ldup)

Chair(s):

Chris Apple <[email-masked]>
John Strassner <[email-masked]>

Applications Area Director(s):

Ned Freed <[email-masked]>
Ted Hardie <[email-masked]>

Applications Area Advisor:

Ted Hardie <[email-masked]>

Mailing Lists:

General Discussion: [email-masked]
To Subscribe: [email-masked]
In Body: subscribe
Archive: http://www.imc.org/ietf-ldup/

Description of Working Group:

As LDAPv3 becomes more widely deployed, replication of data
across servers running different implementations becomes an
important part of providing a distributed directory service.
However, the LDAPv3 community, to date, has focused on
standardizing the client-server access protocol. This group
was originally chartered to standardize master-slave and
multi-master LDAPv3 replication as defined below:

o Multi-Master Replication - A replication model where
  entries can be written and updated on any of several
  replica copies, without requiring communication with
  other masters before the write or update is performed. 

o Master-Slave, or Single-Master Replication - A replication
  model that assumes only one server, the master, allows
  write access to the replicated data. Note that
  Master-Slave replication can be considered a proper
  subset of multi-master replication. 

Recently, the WG established consensus on a change of
direction to pursue publication of a standards track
protocol for LDAPv3 client synchronization, an experimental
LDAPv3 replication protocol, and supporting informational
documents. Thus the new work program is largely the same
as the original work program with one notable exception,
the LDAPv3 replication protocol is intended to be an
experimental rather than a standards track protocol.

The WG's approach was to first develop a set of requirements
for LDAPv3 directory replication and write an applicability
statement defining scenarios on which replication requirements
are based. An engineering team was formed consisting of different
vendors and the co-chairs in order to harmonize the existing
approaches into a single standard approach. All of these have
been accomplished during the pre-working group stage. It should
be noted, however, that replication using heterogeneous servers
is dependent on resolving access control issues, which were
the domain of other working groups. Because the responsible
WG failed to achieve consensus on a standard access control
model for LDAPv3, the LDUP WG formed a design team to explore
the issue of how to address the lack of such a model
in the context of LDAPv3 replication. This design team made
recommendations to the working group. The working group
considered these recommendations and consensus was
established on addressing these recommendations in
the context of revising other working group deliverables
rather than adding new deliverables specific to access
control for replication. Largely because of the lack of
a standard access control model for LDAPv3, the working
group also established consensus on pursuing an experimental
or informational publication path for a majority of working
group documents formerly intended to become proposed standards.

The new replication architecture supports all forms of
replication mentioned above. Seven areas of working group
focus have been identified through LDUP Engineering Team
discussions, each leading to one or more documents to be
published: 

o LDAPv3 Replication Architecture 

   This documents a general-purpose LDAPv3 replication
   architecture, defines key components of this architecture,
   describes how these key components functionally behave,
   and describes how these components interact with each
   other when in various modes of operation 

o LDAPv3 Replication Information Model 

   Defines the schema and semantics of information used to
   operate, administer, maintain, and provision replication
   between LDAPv3 servers. Specifically, this document will
   contain common schema specifications intended to
   facilitate interoperable implementations with respect to: 

      + replication agreements 

      + consistency models 

      + replication topologies 

      + managing deleted objects and their states 

      + administration and management 

o LDAPv3 Replication Information Transport Protocol 

   LDAPv3 extended operation and control specifications
   required to allow LDAPv3 to be used as the transport
   protocol for information being replicated 

o LDAPv3 Replica Management 

   Specifications designed to support administration,
   maintenance, and provisioning of replicas and
   replication agreements. These specifications may
   take the form of definitions for LDAPv3 extended
   operations, controls, and/or new schema elements. 

o LDAPv3 Update Reconciliation Procedures 

   Procedures for detection and resolution of conflicts
   between the state of multiple replicas that contain
   information from the same unit of replication. 

o A General Usage Profile of the LDAPv3 Replication Architecture,
  Information Model, Protocol Extensions, and Update Reconciliation
  Procedures.

o LDAPv3 Client Update 

   A protocol that enables an LDAP client to
   synchronize with the content of a directory
   information tree (DIT) stored by an LDAP server
   and to be notified about the changes to that
   content. 

The work being done in the LDUP WG should be coordinated
to the closest extent possible with similar work being done
in the ITU. This is necessary both because LDAP depends
on X.500 and because it makes sense from an operational
perspective. 

Goals and Milestones:

Done    Submit I-D on LDAPv3 Directory Replication Requirements.
  
Done    Submit I-D on LDAPv3 Replication Information Model.

Done    Submit I-D on LDAPv3 Update Reconciliation Procedures.  

Done    Revise I-D on LDAPv3 Directory Replication Requirements.  

Done    Revise I-D on LDAPv3 Replication Architecture.  

Done    Revise I-D on LDAPv3 Replication Information Model.  

Done    Submit I-D on LDAPv3 Replication Information Transport Protocol.  

Done    Revise I-D on LDAPv3 Replication Architecture.  

Done    LDAPv3 Directory Replication Requirements I-D goes to WG Last Call
        as Informational.  

Done    Submit I-D on LDAPv3 Mandatory Replica Management.

Done	Submit I-D on LDAPv3 Replication General Usage Profile.

Done	LDAPv3 Client Update Protocol I-D goes to WG Last Call
        as Proposed Standard.

Done    Revise LDAPv3 Client Update Protocol I-D.

APR 03  Revise LDAPv3 Replication Information Model I-D.

APR 03  Revise LDAPv3 Client Update Protocol I-D.

MAY 03  Revise LDAPv3 Update Reconciliation Procedures I-D.

MAY 03  Revise LDAPv3 Replication Architecture I-D.

MAY 03  Revise LDAPv3 Replication Information Transport Protocol I-D.

MAY 03  Revise LDAPv3 Replica Management I-D.

MAY 03  LDAPv3 Client Update Protocol I-D goes to WG Last Call
        as Proposed Standard.  

JUN 03  Revise LDAPv3 Replication General Usage Profile I-D.

JUN 03  LDAPv3 Replication Information Model I-D goes to WG Last Call
        as Informational.

JUN 03  LDAPv3 Replication Architecture I-D goes to WG Last Call
        as Informational.

JUL 03  Revise LDAPv3 Update Reconciliation Procedures I-D.

JUL 03  Revise LDAPv3 Replication Information Transport Protocol I-D.

JUL 03  Revise LDAPv3 Replica Management I-D.

JUL 03  Evaluate Deliverables Status.

AUG 03  LDAPv3 Update Reconciliation Procedures I-D goes to WG Last Call
        as Experimental.

AUG 03  LDAPv3 Replication Information Transport Protocol I-D goes to
        WG Last Call as Experimental.

AUG 03  LDAPv3 Replica Management I-D goes to WG Last Call as Experimental.

SEP 03  LDAPv3 Replication General Usage Profile I-D goes to WG Last Call
        as Informational.

---

From: "Chris Apple" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2003 04:20:18 -0400

Ted & Ned,

The LDUP WG members have achieved consensus on the following
WG Charter Revision.

This e-mail is an official request for you to review it and
consider recommending its approval to the IESG.

DSI Consulting, Inc.

 

Chair(s):

Mailing Lists:

      + replication agreements 

      + consistency models 

      + replication topologies 

o LDAPv3 Client Update 

Goals and Milestones: