Subject: RE: LDUP WG Last Call: LCUP Deliverable

From: "Chris Apple" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2003 22:07:24 -0400

The LCUP WG Last Call concluded as scheduled on July 2, 2003.

There were two threads generated in response to this message
containing comments that factor into assessing whether or not
to recommend consideration of the LCUP draft as a standards
track RFC to our ADs.

1) http://www.imc.org/ietf-ldup/mail-archive/msg01832.html

This posting is a summarized restatement of disagreement
with established WG consensus. As such, this posting does
not require that any changes be made to the document prior
to proceeding.

2) http://www.imc.org/ietf-ldup/mail-archive/msg01831.html

This was more a question than a specific request for changes
to the document, and there was some further discussion by
others including one of the document editors. Based on this
question being raised, it does appear that the specification
needs some clarification in this area and there was language
proposed to do so in a follow up to the original posting.

The document editors should respond to the mailing list with
their intended action (incorporating the suggested text,
proposing some edited version for inclusion, or something else...).

Once this issue is resolved on the mailing list, the LCUP
document can be revised (if necessary) and a recommendation
for consideration for standards track RFC publication will
be sent by John and I to the ADs at that time.

Chris Apple - Principal Architect

DSI Consulting, Inc.

mailto:[email-masked]

http://www.dsi-consulting.com

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On
Behalf Of Chris Apple
Sent: Monday, June 16, 2003 7:32 PM
To: [email-masked]
Cc: John Strassner
Subject: LDUP WG Last Call: LCUP Deliverable

The purpose of this message is to initiate the LDUP
working group last call on the LDAP Client Update Protocol
draft.

WHAT DOCUMENT?

The document in last call is:

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ldup-lcup-05.txt

WHAT IS A LAST CALL FOR?

The purpose of the working group last call is to ensure
that the working group has reached consensus on the
document, believes that all the known outstanding issues
have been addressed, and is ready to put the document
forward for Proposed Standard status.

During the last call, any comments on the documents are
collected and discussed on the mailing list.

HOW LONG DOES IT LAST?

The last call starts Monday, June 16, 2003 and will
last approximately two weeks.

It will end on Tuesday, July 1, 2003 at 1700 US ET.

WHAT'S THE NEXT STEP?

After the last call completes, there are three possible
outcomes:

1) No changes are required and we request our ADs to put
   forward the documents to the IESG for Proposed Standard
   status.

2) Minor changes agreed to on the list are required, and
   the documents are revised. We then ask our ADs to put
   forward the revised documents to the IESG for
   Proposed Standard status.

3) Major issues are raised and no consensus is reached on
   the list. In this case, we discuss things until consensus
   is reached, at which time another working group last call
   will be issued.

Assuming we achieve outcome 1) or 2), and that the ADs
agree with our assessment, the next stop for the documents
is with the IESG. The IESG reads them and may approve the
documents (with or without changes), or send the documents
back to the working group to have major issues addressed.

If the first outcome happens, the documents are put forward
for a two-week last call to the entire IETF, and after
successful completion the documents are published as RFCs
with Proposed Standard status.

If the second outcome happens, we go back and address
the issues, putting the documents forward again when we
believe they're ready.

WHAT SHOULD YOU DO?

You should read the documents, making sure that 1) there
are no problems or deficiencies or outstanding issues that
need to be resolved; and 2) that there are no typos,
formatting problems, grammatical errors, etc.

Any substantive problems you find, you should send to the
list. Any minor problems (typos, etc.) you may send to the
list or just to the authors. If, for some reason, you have
comments you don't want to send to the entire list, you may
send them to me and/or LDUP WG co-chair John Strassner.

Silence means consent.

Read, enjoy, and send your comments in!

regards,
Chris Apple and John Strassner

Chris Apple - Principal Architect

DSI Consulting, Inc.

mailto:[email-masked]

http://www.dsi-consulting.com