Subject: Re: persistent search

From: "Vithalprasad Gaitonde" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 04 Nov 2003 22:08:07 -0700

I think it makes sense to have an informational RFC rathar no spec at
all since PS did find a fair level of usage.

Prasad

>>> Mark C Smith <[email-masked]> 11/5/2003 2:43:10 AM >>>

John McMeeking wrote:
> 
> Are there any plans to publish persistent search in any form?  Is
there
> something other than an expired internet draft that could be
referenced as
> the "standard" for this feature?  Having been implemented by at least
a few
> servers and clients, I think some sort of formal document (IETF or
> otherwise) would be useful.

A couple of years ago, I mentioned that I planned to ask that PS be 
published as an Informational RFC. A couple of people mentioned that 
they'd rather not have that happen because it might confuse people who

are looking for the standards track "answer", e.g., LCUP. But I still 
think it would be useful to publish PS as Information because there are

multiple implementations, etc.

-Mark