Subject: [lisp] Last Call: <draft-ietf-lisp-interworking-03.txt> (Interworking LISP with IPv4 and IPv6) to Experimental RFC

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 09 Feb 2012 06:48:44 -0800

The IESG has received a request from the Locator/ID Separation Protocol
WG (lisp) to consider the following document:
- 'Interworking LISP with IPv4 and IPv6'
  <draft-ietf-lisp-interworking-03.txt> as an Experimental RFC

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2012-02-23. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the
beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   This document describes techniques for allowing sites running the
   Locator/ID Separation Protocol (LISP) to interoperate with Internet
   sites (which may be using either IPv4, IPv6, or both) but which are
   not running LISP.  A fundamental property of LISP speaking sites is
   that they use Endpoint Identifiers (EIDs), rather than traditional IP
   addresses, in the source and destination fields of all traffic they
   emit or receive.  While EIDs are syntactically identical to IPv4 or
   IPv6 addresses, normally routes to them are not carried in the global
   routing system so an interoperability mechanism is needed for non-
   LISP-speaking sites to exchange traffic with LISP-speaking sites.
   This document introduces three such mechanisms.  The first uses a new
   network element, the LISP Proxy Ingress Tunnel Routers (PITR)
   (Section 5) to act as a intermediate LISP Ingress Tunnel Router (ITR)
   for non-LISP-speaking hosts.  Second the document adds Network
   Address Translation (NAT) functionality to LISP Ingress and LISP
   Egress Tunnel Routers (xTRs) to substitute routable IP addresses for
   non-routable EIDs.  Finally, this document introduces a Proxy Egress
   Tunnel Router (PETR) to handle cases where a LISP ITR cannot send
   packets to non-LISP sites without encapsulation.

The file can be obtained via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-lisp-interworking/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-lisp-interworking/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.