Subject: [lisp] Document Action: 'LISP Map Server Interface' to Experimental RFC (draft-ietf-lisp-ms-16.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2012 09:11:08 -0800

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'LISP Map Server Interface'
  (draft-ietf-lisp-ms-16.txt) as an Experimental RFC

This document is the product of the Locator/ID Separation Protocol
Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Jari Arkko and Ralph Droms.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-lisp-ms/

Technical Summary

This draft describes the LISP Map Server (LISP-MS), a computing
system which provides a simplified LISP protocol interface as a
"front end" to the Endpoint-ID (EID) to Routing Locator (RLOC)
mapping database and associated virtual network of LISP protocol
elements.

The purpose of the Map Server is to reduce implementation and
operational complexity of LISP Ingress Tunnel Routers (ITRs) and
Egress Tunnel Routers (ETRs), the devices that implement the "edge"
of the LISP infrastructure and which connect directly to LISP-capable
Internet end sites.

Working Group Summary

The Last call for this document was extended to try to capture
all concerns. There were concerns raised on caching and security
effects. These have been included in the document as identified
points in the relevant sections given that the document is
Experimental. The SECURITY area required consideration of AKM.

Document Quality

There are 4 confirmed different implementations of LISP
including map-server code, and the document has been reviewed
at length with all the other LISP drafts reaching last call.

Personnel

The Document Shepherd is Joel Halpern and the responsible Area
Director is Jari Arkko.