Subject: [lisp] Agenda Items for LISP in IETF 85

From: Terry Manderson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2012 16:38:28 -0700

Folks,

There is a smidge over two weeks until a WG draft agenda for IETF 85 is due.

"2012-10-24 (Wednesday): Draft Working Group agendas due by UTC 24:00"

Please email requests for agenda slots to this list by 2012-10-22 (Monday).

If you have been watching, you will notice that an IETF agenda is up, and we
have a 2 hour session on Tuesday (6th Nov) afternoon (1pm-3pm).

Cheers
Terry

---

From: Terry Manderson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2012 22:16:12 -0700

Hi all, 

This is where I get to re-state the request for agenda items based on the
Chairs and AD agreement to focus on priority documents as required by the
LISP charter.

Only WG drafts will be allowed an agenda slot at IETF 85.

WG draft authors - I would like to hear from you sooner, rather than later,
if you intend to provide an update on your documents.

The key items of work that I would like a status from are:

    The two recently adopted Intro and Architecture drafts (that is their WG
version documents when they are uploaded!!!!!)
and
    draft-ietf-lisp-deployment
    draft-ietf-lisp-lcaf
    draft-ietf-lisp-sec
    draft-ietf-lisp-threats

WG. Given this effort to re-focus on the charter deliverables, I urge you
all to read the above drafts and bring forth your review to this list.

Cheers
Terry

---

From: Damien Saucez <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 14 Oct 2012 12:07:38 +0200

Terry,

Can we have a 10 min slot to present the implication document for
the IESG. This document is important as it shows we are making
progress on clearing the WG milestone associated with this
document.

> A new version of I-D, draft-saucez-lisp-iesg-statement-00.txt
> has been successfully submitted by Damien Saucez and posted to the
> IETF repository.
> 
> Filename:	 draft-saucez-lisp-iesg-statement
> Revision:	 00
> Title:		 LISP IESG Statement
> Creation date:	 2012-10-14
> WG ID:		 Individual Submission
> Number of pages: 12
> URL:             http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-saucez-lisp-iesg-statement-00.txt
> Status:          http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-saucez-lisp-iesg-statement
> Htmlized:        http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-saucez-lisp-iesg-statement-00
> 
> 
> Abstract:
>   The Locator/Identifier Separation Protocol (LISP) relies on three
>   simple principles to scale the Internet: address role separation,
>   encapsulation, and mapping.  In this document, based on
>   implementation, deployment, and theoretical studies, we discuss the
>   impact that a LISP deployment would have on the Internet and for the
>   users.

Best regards,

Damien Saucez

On 12 Oct 2012, at 07:16, Terry Manderson <[email-masked]> wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> lisp mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/lisp

---

From: Terry Manderson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2012 16:37:11 -0700

Damien,

With the WG co-chair hat stapled on.

Unfortunately this draft is not yet a WG item and pursuant to the agreement
between the LISP chairs and the responsible AD, we will only focus on WG
items until the priority, gating documents, are submitted to the IESG.
Sorry, but I will not provide an agenda slot at IETF 85 for this item.

I do (fully) expect that this document will become a WG item in the near
future. In fact the LISP charter calls for it. However the line has been
drawn in the sand - we MUST put the work into lisp-introduction and
lisp-architecture first.

If we have time remaining for an AOB session in Atlanta, and productive
discussion is seen on the list about this draft before we all touchdown in
ATL, Joel and I will be willing to allow microphone time (sans slides!) in
AOB for a face to face discussion.

Apologies for the tight hold on the reigns. I cannot stress this enough, we
MUST get cracking on lisp-introduction and lisp-architecture!

Cheers
Terry

On 14/10/12 8:07 PM, "Damien Saucez" <[email-masked]> wrote:

>> URL:            
>> http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-saucez-lisp-iesg-statement-00.txt
>> Status:         
>> http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-saucez-lisp-iesg-statement
>> Htmlized:       
>> http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-saucez-lisp-iesg-statement-00
>> 
>> 
>> Abstract:

---

From: Vince Fuller <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2012 16:59:49 -0700

(re: draft-saucez-lisp-impact-00.txt)

> MUST get cracking on lisp-introduction and lisp-architecture!

Hi Terry-

I find this response a little confusing since I thought that the impact
statement was explicitly listed as a gating item for the WG, despite it
being a bit behind schedule for WG adoption; seems like something of a
"Catch-22" not to be able to talk about it during the meeting.

Is the LISP WG agenda really so tight that we can't afford a few minutes to
mention the salient points of the impact statement document? Can you provide
the current tentative agenda, or at least the set of items (and times
assigned) accepted so far?

Note that, at present, there is nothing new to present regarding either
draft-ietf-lisp-introduction or draft-ietf-lisp-architecture; that *may*
change prior to the -01 draft deadline next week (and I have volunteered
to present the set of changes and lead a discussion if applicable) but
there is no guarantee of that. I can't imagine how we will "get cracking"
on these documents during the WG meeting if there is nothing to say about
them.

	Thanks,
	--Vince

---

From: Terry Manderson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2012 17:16:00 -0700

Hi Vince,

> "Catch-22" not to be able to talk about it during the meeting.

I'm not saying that we can't talk about it - if there is time spare after we
get through the current list of items and free time remains then we can
certainly have an open-mic session about it, again provided we see on-list
discussion about it.

> assigned) accepted so far?

It's not about the time. I fully expect us to have time - but the IESG has
asked us to get the existing WG items that are gating documents through to
them before we take on more work.

> on these documents during the WG meeting if there is nothing to say about

So the "get cracking" on the documents applies to more than just the
authors/editors. It really now seems to focus on the work group as a whole -
these documents need review. These documents need suggested text, should the
work group see deficiencies.

This is not a critique about the authors, but more about the review of the
documents I have seen to date.

As for the current agenda, I have so far:

- LCAF Update, 15 Minutes
    Dino Farinacci
    http://tools.ietf.org/wg/lisp/draft-ietf-lisp-lcaf/

- Lisp-threats, 10 Minutes
    Luigi Iannone 
    http://tools.ietf.org/wg/lisp/draft-ietf-lisp-threats/

- DDT - Implementation and deployment, 20 Minutes
    Fuller or Lewis
    http://tools.ietf.org/wg/lisp/draft-ietf-lisp-ddt/

- Lisp-deployment, 10 mins
    Albert Cabellos
    http://tools.ietf.org/wg/lisp/draft-ietf-lisp-deployment/

Cheers
Terry