Subject: Re: [lmap] LMAP Use Case draft

From: James Miller <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2013 11:29:53 -0500

Thanks again Marc for all your contributions to the effort.

I would perhaps add in the use cases the regulator as another stakeholder.
 If this text is helpful please feel free to use:

Regulators in jurisdictions around the world are responding to consumers'
adoption of broadband technology solution for traditional
telecommunications and media services by reviewing the historical
approaches to regulating these industries and services and in some cases
modifying existing approaches or developing new solutions. Some
jurisdictions have responded to a perceived need for greater information
about broadband performance in the development of regulatory policies and
approaches for broadband technologies by developing large-scale measurement
programs. Programs such as the U.S. Federal Communications Commission's
Measuring Broadband America, U.K. Ofcom's UK Broadband Speeds reports and a
growing list of others programs employ a diverse set of operational and
technical approaches to gathering data in scientifically and statistical
robust ways to perform analysis and reporting on diverse aspects of
broadband performance. While each jurisdiction responds to distinct
consumer, industry, and regulatory concerns, much commonality exists in the
need to produce datasets that are able to compare multiple broadband
providers, diverse technical solutions, geographic and regional
distributions, and marketed and provisioned levels and combinations of
broadband services. Regulators role in the development and enforcement of
broadband policies also require that the measurement approaches meet a high
level of verifiability, accuracy and fairness to support valid and
meaningful comparisons of broadband performance. LMAP standards could
answer regulators shared needs by providing scalable, cost-effective,
scientifically robust solutions to the measurement and collection of
broadband performance information.

http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-linsner-lmap-use-cases-00

The opinions expressed are those of the author and do not necessarily
represent the views of the Federal Communications Commission or the United
States Government; The Maureen and Mike Mansfield Foundation; or any
Japanese Ministry or the Government of Japan.

On Fri, Dec 21, 2012 at 12:32 PM, Marc Linsner <[email-masked]> wrote:

> In an effort to move things forward, I submitted this draft to dissect the
> use cases away from both the requirements and architecture discussions.
>  The goal is to have a discussion and come to consensus on the use cases to
> be considered if/when the LMAP work moves forward.  Hopefully, breaking
> topics into smaller more portable documents will allow the topics to move
> forward at different speeds.
>
> Admittedly, this draft is far from complete, but I made an attempt to
> capture (at least in part) the conversation around use cases from the list.
>
> Fire away…..
>
> -Marc-
>
>
> A new version of I-D, draft-linsner-lmap-use-cases-00.txt
> has been successfully submitted by Marc Linsner and posted to the
> IETF repository.
>
> Filename:  draft-linsner-lmap-use-cases
> Revision:  00
> Title:  Large-Scale Broadband Measurement Use Cases
> Creation date:  2012-12-21
> WG ID:  Individual Submission
> Number of pages: 5
> URL:
> http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-linsner-lmap-use-cases-00.txt
> Status:
> http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-linsner-lmap-use-cases
> Htmlized:
> http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-linsner-lmap-use-cases-00
>
>
> Abstract:
>    Measuring broadband performance on a large scale is important for
>    network diagnostics by providers and users, as well for as public
>    policy.  To conduct such measurements, user networks gather data,
>    either on their own initiative or instructed by a measurement
>    controller, and then upload the measurement results to a designated
>    measurement server.  Understanding the various scenarios and users of
>    measuring broadband performance is essential to development of the
>    system requirements.  The details of the measurement metrics
>    themselves are beyond the scope of this document.
>
>
>
>
>
>
> The IETF Secretariat
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> lmap mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/lmap
>
>