Subject: Re: [lmap] Which devices does LMAP target?

From: "Scott Weeks" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2013 17:29:53 -0700

--- [email-masked] wrote:
From: Alissa Cooper <[email-masked]>

I was actually thinking of it the other way around -- that 
it may be more feasible to add, for example, a full-featured 
NETCONF server to a PC or tablet environment than to cheap CPE. 
So designing for the widest range of possible devices may have 
implications for the selection of protocols to use for 
controller<-->MA (and MA<-->collector). Or it may not, but it's 
worth a bit of discussion.
-------------------------------------------------

Operator here; not a researcher... :)

Would you expect that the owners of these devices will need to 
give permission to install something like this?  If it's going
to be on an ISP's network device it's one thing.  One request
allows it to go on 1000s of devices, such as cable modems.  If
it's going on a device a consumer owns, it's a totally different
thing.  Am I off in left field with this question?

scott

_______________________________________________
lmap mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/lmap

---

From: Henning Schulzrinne <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2013 14:18:58 +0000

Operators already install, in some cases, proprietary measurement applications, e.g., made by companies such as CarrierIQ. The permission needed will probably differ based on jurisdiction and the nature of the information collected. For the FCC MBA projects, all participants are volunteers who are fully informed of the nature of the measurements and can end their participation at any time.

If collected by carriers, information may be subject to Customer Proprietary Network Information rules in the US or similar rules elsewhere, but this is reasonably well-understood, at least by operator legal teams.

Henning

________________________________________
From: [email-masked] [[email-masked]] on behalf of Scott Weeks [[email-masked]]
Sent: Tuesday, March 12, 2013 8:29 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [lmap] Which devices does LMAP target?

scott