Subject: [lmap] A Tutorial on Large-Scale Measurement Platforms

From: "Bajpai, Vaibhav" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Jul 2013 11:44:54 +0000

Hello,

We recently gave a tutorial on Large-Scale Measurement Platforms at 
AIMS 2013 [1]. The tutorial is available at [2].

[1] http://www.aims-conference.org/2013/labs.html
[2] http://cnds.eecs.jacobs-university.de/tutorials

Abstract:
---------

This tutorial provides an introduction into large-scale measurement platforms.
It begins by surveying active measurement studies that paved way for the
deployment of such platforms. It then describes the internals of the RIPE
Atlas and SamKnows platforms, their architecture and surveys the work
published from insights discovered from the collected data. The first part
concludes by introducing the current Large Scale Measurement of Access Network
Performance (LMAP) standardisation efforts in the IETF. The second part of the
tutorial provides practical training on how to virtualise an OpenWrt-based
Customer Premises Equipment (CPE) and bootstrap it to register as a
Measurement Agent (MA) with a controller. The MA is then used to install a
measurement test, schedule the reporting of the measurement test results and
use a REST API to send and retrieve the measurement results back from the
collector. The tutorial also provides training on how to use the RIPE Atlas
REST API to create User Defined Measurements (UDMs), and retrieve the UDM
measurement results. It concludes with a description of the UDM result data
structures and a brief of how programming tools can be used to analyse such data.

Best Regards,
Vaibhav Bajpai and Nikolay Melnikov

About authors:

Vaibhav Bajpai is a PhD student at Jacobs University Bremen, Germany. His
research focuses on understanding the impact of network infrastructure changes
using Large-Scale Measurement Platforms.
http://vaibhavbajpai.com

Nikolay Melnikov is a PhD student at Jacobs University Bremen,
Germany. His research focuses on identification and differentiation of
Internet users based on their browsing patterns and behaviors.
http://nmelnikov.com