Subject: Re: [lmap] user-initiated testing

From: Juergen Schoenwaelder <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 1 Aug 2013 09:00:43 +0200

On Wed, Jul 31, 2013 at 09:13:02PM +0000, Bugenhagen, Michael K wrote:
> Nope I was decomposing a Measurement agent... somewhat like this
> 
> 
>      			  	 --------------------
> 				|  Measurement Agent |
>       			|   Control function |
> 				 --------------------   
> 					/	   \		
> 			           /          \
>   	      --------------------        -----------------
>            |  Test initiator    |      |  test responder |  
> 	     |    function        |      |    function     |  
> 		--------------------        ----------------- 
> 
> Where a Measurement agent has two separate sub-functions under it, both biding for resources of running a test.
> The measurement agent control function talks to the Measurement controller.
> The test initiator / responder functions roll up under the Measurement agent, but can work independently of each other.
> 

This is very different from what is in the two framework drafts and
the terminology draft.

/js

-- 
Juergen Schoenwaelder           Jacobs University Bremen gGmbH
Phone: +49 421 200 3587         Campus Ring 1, 28759 Bremen, Germany
Fax:   +49 421 200 3103         <http://www.jacobs-university.de/>

---

From: "Sharam Hakimi" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 1 Aug 2013 13:29:08 -0400

Mike,
I think the details of internal implementation of a MA is beyond the
scope of LMAP. In many cases it is not only the internal resources but
the type of test that a MA and its peer will be performing. If a
throughput test is being requested the even if there might be internal
resources available within an MA to perform other tests, it cannot be
done due to available bandwidth on the interface. These are decisions
that I believe are left to the implementer.

There are many examples, I have just explained one here. I think that
from the architecture point of view I agree with Juergen.

Sharam 

-----Original Message-----
From: Juergen Schoenwaelder
[mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Thursday, August 01, 2013 3:01 AM
To: Bugenhagen, Michael K
Cc: Sharam Hakimi; [email-masked]; Paul Aitken;
[email-masked]
Subject: Re: [lmap] user-initiated testing

On Wed, Jul 31, 2013 at 09:13:02PM +0000, Bugenhagen, Michael K wrote:
> Where a Measurement agent has two separate sub-functions under it,
both biding for resources of running a test.
> The test initiator / responder functions roll up under the Measurement
agent, but can work independently of each other.

/js