Subject: [lmap] comments on LMAP use cases

From: "Pragiati Aggeliki" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2014 14:01:46 +0200

Based on EETT experience from the development of
http://hyperiontest.gr/, please consider some comments below regarding
Chapter 4 of the Internet-Draft 'Large-Scale Broadband Measurement Use
Cases'.

>From the regulator point of view, the key objectives for measuring
broadband performance on a large scale are three-fold depending on the
actors of the use cases.
Consumers: 
*	Promoting transparency and fair competition on Quality of
Service 
*	Provide personalized services for detecting performance
improvement or degradation or possible cabling faults.
*	Export measurements data for helping consumers to understand and
evaluate  connection performance issues and report problems to operators
and/or NRA
*	Geo-mapping the performance of broadband connections around the
country  
Local authorities and ISPs: 
*	Geo-mapping broadband performance to ease coordination during
deployment of networks and infrastructure.
NRA:
*	Tools to support statistical methods, analysis, reporting,
identification of possible problems and trends
		
Overall the above objectives form a set of requirements regarding the
test results of any measuring process:
*	Data concluded by the measurement process must be consistent. In
order to achieve that a set of parameters during measurement needs to be
verified i.e. the user's location, Access-Technology used, the
Agreed-Service-Limitations. The verification process may be achieved via
user authentication and via verification by the ISP of the information
provided by the user
*	The overall picture of the broadband network performance
achieved must be consistent. In order to achieve that, measurements must
be performed periodically, at different times of a day, either initiated
by the user or scheduled automatically. It also requires a sufficient
large number of end users and measurements in a short period of time. 

Kind regards,
Aggeliki

================================================
Dr. Aggeliki Pragiati
Telecommunications Division
Hellenic Telecommunications & Post Commission (E.E.T.T.)
60 Kifissias Avenue, 15125 Maroussi, Athens, GREECE 
Tel.: +30 210 6151 218, +30 210 615 1000
================================================