Subject: [lmap] review: draft-ietf-lmap-framework-05

From: "Bajpai, Vaibhav" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2014 16:02:28 +0000

Hello,

I read the LMAP framework document [1] and made some notes:
[1] http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-lmap-framework-05

Thought to share it along:

  Items beyond the scope of the initial LMAP work
  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

  2.  It does not define interactions between the Collector and
     Controller.  It is quite likely that there will be such
     interactions, optionally intermediated by the data analysis
     tools.  For example, if there is an "interesting" Measurement
     Result then the measurement system may want to trigger extra
     Measurement Tasks that explore the potential cause in more
     detail; or if the Collector unexpectedly does not hear from a MA,
     then the measurement system may want to trigger the Controller to
     send a fresh Instruction Message to the MA.

I thought about some situations where the collector may want to (out of band)
verify that the MA did talk to the controller. This is *out of scope* of LMAP as
aforementioned. Since some such examples are already mentioned in the ^ writeup. 
Here is some additional input for this bulleted item:

a) A misbehaving MA sending arbitrary results to the collector: In such a
situation an MA may decide to not honour the controller instruction and post
random results to the collector. The organization responsible for the
measurement system may want to somehow verify at the collector end whether the
results correlate to the schedule pushed to the MA.

b) A mischievous MA can decide to go through the MA-controller interactions
described in the framework, but later delegate the task of running
measurements and reporting results to a proxy MA. The proxy MA then pushes the
results to the collector. The organization responsible for the measurement
system may somehow want to verify at the collector end that the results are
sent by the same MA entity to which the instructions were pushed to.

Best, Vaibhav

-----------------------------------------------------
Vaibhav Bajpai

Research I, Room 86
Computer Networks and Distributed Systems  (CNDS) Lab
School of Engineering and Sciences
Jacobs University Bremen, Germany

www.vaibhavbajpai.com