Subject: [lmap] [draft-ietf-ippm-lmap-path-03]: cgn deployments

From: "Bajpai, Vaibhav" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2014 12:52:20 +0000

Hello,

This is with reference to draft-ietf-ippm-lmap-path-03 [1].
[1] http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-ippm-lmap-path-03

Translation Between Reference Path and Various Technologies
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

   Subsc. -- Private -- Private -- Service-- Intra IP -- GRA -- Transit
   device     Net #1     Net #2    Demarc.    Access     GW     GRA GW
   mp000                            mp100      mp150    mp190    mp200
   |--UE--|------------CPE/NAT--------|------|-BRAS-|------|
                                      |------DSL Network---|
   |_______Un-managed sub-path________|__Managed sub-path__|

The BRAS is deployed at mp150 within the reference path. However, if I compare
this with the specific case of CGN deployments:

   Subsc. -- Private ------------- Service-- Intra IP -- GRA -- Transit
   device     Net #1               Demarc.    Access     GW     GRA GW
   mp000                            mp100      mp150    mp190    mp200
   |--UE--|------------CPE/NAT--------|------|-CGN-|------|
                                      |-----DSL Network---|
   |_______Un-managed sub-path________|_Managed sub-path__|

               GRA = Globally Routable Address, GW = Gateway

   A Carrier Grade NAT (CGN) deployed in the Service Provider's
   access network would be positioned between mp100 and mp190, and
   the egress side of the CGN may be designated mp150. mp150 is
   generally an intermediate measurement point in the same address
   space as mp190.

The CGN is also deployed at mp150 in the ^ figure. Is the CGN embedded within
the BRAS? If not, it would be nice to know if the CGN is deployed before the
BRAS or after the BRAS within the reference path.

Best, Vaibhav

-----------------------------------------------------
Vaibhav Bajpai

Research I, Room 86
Computer Networks and Distributed Systems  (CNDS) Lab
School of Engineering and Sciences
Jacobs University Bremen, Germany

www.vaibhavbajpai.com